Are Dexron VI and Mercon LV interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I know that GM calls for Dexron VI in their 6 speed A/T and Ford calls for Mercon LV in their 6 speed A/T and that these A/Ts are a joint venture so I am wondering if the fluids are interchangeable?

Valvoline Maxlife FS states it can be used for both applications without voiding factory warranties. I use it in both my fathers LV F150 and in my Dex-VI Silverado.

If I needed a quart to add to my dex-VI app I would use and LV if I had too, and Vise Versa.

LV can be harder to find than Dex-VI. Both specs are great long life low Vis fluids.

I wouldn't claim them as interchangeable, however I believe they are more similar than different and could be interchanged if need be.

They may very well be interchangeable or at least very close. There are quite a few ATF's out there that are licensed to both specs. Formal approval from both Ford and GM.

I prefer the Motorcraft LV for my two F150s because it has some great specs:

MOTORCRAFT® MERCON®LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Product Typicals
Specification
MERCON®LV
MERCON®LV license number
MLV070701
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C)
Density, lb/gal
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F)
216 (421)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C cSt @ 40°C cP @ -40°C
6.0 29.6 10,200
Viscosity Index
Pour Point, °C (°F)

Last time I checked, the dual purpose ATFs did not come close. The above info was obtained from fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com , Fords official chemical and lube website.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I prefer the Motorcraft LV for my two F150s because it has some great specs:

MOTORCRAFT® MERCON®LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Product Typicals
Specification
MERCON®LV
MERCON®LV license number
MLV070701
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C)
Density, lb/gal
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F)
216 (421)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C cSt @ 40°C cP @ -40°C
6.0 29.6 10,200
Viscosity Index
Pour Point, °C (°F)

Last time I checked, the dual purpose ATFs did not come close. The above info was obtained from fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com , Fords official chemical and lube website.

Valvoline Maxlife FS specs are almost identical to these specs. Also these specs look almost identical to Valvoline FS dex-VI

Maxlife PDS

Valvoline Dexron-Vi

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Valvoline Maxlife FS specs are almost identical to these specs. Also these specs look almost identical to Valvoline FS dex-VI

Maxlife PDS

Valvoline Dexron-Vi

For clarity, these Product Data Sheets are not specifications. These are fluid "characterizations" derived from various tests.

Fluid specifications are developed by the OEM's for vehicle components.

Are the Valvoline fluid's dynamic friction coefficients close to Mercon LV, probably, but not exact.

There is no way, short of actual testing, to determine if the fluids are totally compatible. Hopefully, the additive manufacturers have done their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back