when to change atx fluid on low mileage cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when to change automatic transmission fluid on vehicles that don't get no were near the mileage change interval???

Every 3 years a drain and fill would be nice. Brake fluid as well while you're at it. Turkey baster method for the power steering fluid.

Last edited:
Wear metals in a transmission are highest during the first year or so - after that wear metals taper off a lot.

A couple of early ATF drain and fills are prudent to get the extra debris out from the break-in process.

After that, a normal maintenance routine is in order.

Originally Posted By: wantboost
when to change automatic transmission fluid on vehicles that don't get no were near the mileage change interval???

Search MolaKule's posts for his research. As mentioned, wear is highest when the tranny is new and early changes are prudent.

Alright I ll try and find his threads.. the car is 2009 and only has 12000 miles

Originally Posted By: wantboost
Alright I ll try and find his threads.. the car is 2009 and only has 12000 miles

Change it now if it's a concern for you. It could potentially be another 10yrs before that vehicle has ~36K miles on it.

I think most would say change it around 3yrs/36K miles, which ever comes first. Following that would be doing more than almost every vehicle on the road has done. Does doing this help? I can't see how it would hurt. I know I've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back