Free tuition NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the high cost of Higher education is due mainly to the easy to get government backed loans. Get the government out of the student loan business. While you're at it the home mortgage business as well.

Originally Posted By: crw

Make it "free", and universities will go even deeper into being the liberal indoctrination centers that they already are. Anyway, mature individuals understand that nothing is free. But, blow up this model! It should be 80% cheaper.

Why is it so terrifying that campuses are hotbeds for change? Who wants to major in "I want my Dad's job, for Dad's pay, with his old textbooks, and see to it we don't advance in any way?"

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: crw

Make it "free", and universities will go even deeper into being the liberal indoctrination centers that they already are. Anyway, mature individuals understand that nothing is free. But, blow up this model! It should be 80% cheaper.

Why is it so terrifying that campuses are hotbeds for change? Who wants to major in "I want my Dad's job, for Dad's pay, with his old textbooks, and see to it we don't advance in any way?"
...with his old Constitution..."

Aren't politics banned on bitog? Talking about free stuff is one thing, but opening with "current nutty political candidate" IMHO crosses into politics. We bring up something like this on BITOG and people bring in huge amounts of extra baggage to the conversation. Why do we keep making posts like this on an oil forum? If people stayed on topic that would be one thing, but that never seems to happen.

^ See above posts as proof ^

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Isn't Education 100% free in Germany?
It is (I studied there)

(...and in some major countries of Europe?)
where is Germany now in the living standard ranks? where is US?

So free education itself is not a bad thing at all, but I just don't know if the US is ready for it YET.

Then please explain how it is to be paid for. More taxes? And who decides what courses are of value after college ends? If it's my tax dollars being taken from me to fund this...don't I have a say in the investment?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Aren't politics banned on bitog? Talking about free stuff is one thing, but opening with "current nutty political candidate" IMHO crosses into politics. We bring up something like this on BITOG and people bring in huge amounts of extra baggage to the conversation. Why do we keep making posts like this on an oil forum? If people stayed on topic that would be one thing, but that never seems to happen.

^ See above posts as proof ^

Discussing national topics is difficult without at least a passing mention of the causes. This causes have MUCH to do with politics. Actually, a huge amount of our lives has to do with politics...involved or not.
This is an off-topic section of bitog...not another oil thread. If you feel it objectionable that I said "nutty political candidate" then either stop reading the thread....or complain to a moderator to close the thread.
It matters little to me what you decide.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
mods, lock this thread down tight and send a nice warning to OP.

Why? Because I mentioned a news article about free tuition?

You sound like you just stepped off one of those campuses and want me to stop expressing my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
free?? rofl
bend over taxpayers!

students are mad because daddy and mommy wont pay for 100% of the chump kids education?

a few loans are good for kids, keeps them honest at school and focused on their studies not partying, drinking, fooling around with opposite( or same
33.gif
) genders

I don't think tuition should be free, but the way it is now, by the time a student graduates with a 4 year degree, they are easily 20k-30k dollars in debt after tuition, books, and room and board if not more than that. Prices have gotten ridiculous, do you know how much books cost these days? Plus, when it's time to pay back the loans, you have to pay back interest most of the time too. That's pretty hard when a lot of jobs now require previous experience to get hired and all you have is a degree. The way federal loans are currently set up, you have to begin payback 6 months after you graduate. That's not that much time to get a career started, probably move out onto your own, and be expected to pay loans back plus a cost of living. Then even if the loan payment is $50 a month, at that rate you'll be paying on it for 30+ years unless you step up to much larger payments. It's a completely ****** system. So, yes, a few loans are good, but not crippling debt by the time you're 25.

The thread you created is political which isn't an allowed to be discussed on here. If you don't understand that then you're as clueless as a piece of chalk.
smile.gif

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm sure your generations were perfect when you were young.

Most of the people I grew up with didn't expect others to pay our way.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The thread you created is political which isn't an allowed to be discussed on here. If you don't understand that then you're as clueless as a piece of chalk.
smile.gif

My post was about the topic of free tuition. The link I provided mentioned nothing but the fact that many students are demanding it. If you want to say that it's political and should be purged from this board...then about 50% of the postings in this section should be likewise banned.

The fact is, you just don't like the opinions expressed in this thread....especially mine...because "politically" you disagree.

It is (I studied there)

So free education itself is not a bad thing at all, but I just don't know if the US is ready for it YET.

Then please explain how it is to be paid for. More taxes? And who decides what courses are of value after college ends? If it's my tax dollars being taken from me to fund this...don't I have a say in the investment?

-Yes VERY high taxes. But it must work because US is nowhere near German living standards.
-Yes, Germans pay very high taxes, and care for their future generation's education, and they are fine with it. (and you should be, too
smile.gif
)
You're investing in the future generation's education. That's a good thing. (That's how they see it, over there)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Exactly!

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I'm sure your generations were perfect when you were young.

Most of the people I grew up with didn't expect others to pay our way.

Yep...and a generation or two before mine...the youth were busy defeating Hirohito and Hitler.

It is (I studied there)

-Yes VERY high taxes. But it must work because US is nowhere near German living standards.
-No one else decides what courses you take - only you.
-Yes, Germans pay very high taxes, and care for their future generation's education, and they are fine with it. (and you should be, too
smile.gif
)

So with government paying for it (through the tax payers money that is taken from them...as government makes no money, it only takes), and taxpayers have no say as to what value a persons education is...what return on this forced investment would I receive from those that spend years in college taking non-vocationally transitional course/degrees...and then can't get a job in the private sector? Maybe the government can employ them? We already have millions employed in government....how is that working?

smile.gif

My post was about the topic of free tuition. The link I provided mentioned nothing but the fact that many students are demanding it. If you want to say that it's political and should be purged from this board...then about 50% of the postings in this section should be likewise banned.

The fact is, you just don't like the opinions expressed in this thread....especially mine...because "politically" you disagree.

Please explain how this is not political:

Thanks to ridiculous promises from a current nutty political candidate, the "free everything" crowd has now got demands.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
smile.gif

The fact is, you just don't like the opinions expressed in this thread....especially

mine...because "politically" you disagree.

Thanks to ridiculous promises from a current nutty political candidate, the "free everything" crowd has now got demands.

I see...so you are greatly offended because while I purposely mentioned NO NAME...you are hurt by the "nutty" comment and you want the thread shut down?

You are amusing because in other threads it seems like YOU are the one making things highly political and inflammatory. It didn't take much searching of your past posts to figure that out.

You'll probably get your way since you've donated money to the site. Just give it a few more minutes.

Wow. Sad.

Last edited:
High taxes for 'free' education is very bad. So is high taxes for 'free' healthcare.

OT: the company I work for offers $10,000 per year in tuition reimbursement to all their employees.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
smile.gif

Almost all topics are related to politics in some way. Certainly motors oils are political these days. Cars, yep, political. Gas, political.

If you want to avoid political topics you should just talk about what color to paint your house. Just make sure it's outside of an HOA to avoid the politics.

It is (I studied there)

-No one else decides what courses you take - only you.
smile.gif
)

So with government paying for it (through the tax payers money that is taken from them...as government makes no money, it only takes), and taxpayers have no say as to what value a persons education is...what return on this forced investment would I receive from those that spend years in college taking non-vocationally transitional course/degrees...and then can't get a job in the private sector? Maybe the government can employ them? We already have millions employed in government....how is that working?

They do impose pretty strict rules - it's not like you can spend years and years goofing off and not passing your exams. If you don't pass your required exams within a certain time frame (depends on the field of study) then you're OUT! They monitor your progress and have certain standards that students should meet within a certain time frame. It's not like here where you can change majors 5 times in a year. And people there DO look at transcripts when they apply for a job - if it shows you took longer than avg to get your degree / diploma etc, then it works against you.

I am not an expert enough to say EXACTLY how it works in Germany and in other countries but there's enough proof that it does, very well, in fact. Germany now has one of the strongest economies, if not the strongest in Europe/world. Avg Living standard that the US may never reach. And they STILL have free education. I am sure if it was a failure things won't be as they are.

The people's mindset is also very different when it comes to how they think about paying more taxes than here. VASTLY different.

Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Germany - all in the top 5 or 10 for avg living standards / strongest economies, I think?

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-do-european-countries-afford-free-college-2015-6

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back