Oil recomdation for Range Rover Supercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 08 Full sized range rover with the Jaguar 4.2 L supercharged engine. 410HP 425tq, It runs 13 lbs boost and holds 8 quarts of oil. I typically run Mobil 1 EP in all my cars due to it being cheap at Walmart and easy to get. I have been running M1 5w/30 EP and changing it at 10k miles. The factory OCI is 7k with Dino juice. This truck get some pretty heavy use. It weights almost 6,000 lbs and i just pulled a 16 foot enclosed trailer loaded with around 6k lbs 4800 miles 10-12 hours at a time. Although i do not typically tow a trailer that much maybe 1k miles a year. I do drive 30k+ miles a year so the longer the OCI the better as i don't have to change it as often. The manual says you can use anything from 0w-30 to 10w-40 with 5w30 the suggested weight. I have to say the oil looked pretty dirty after its first oil change with M1 5w-30 @ 10k miles oci. It currently has rotella t6 5w-40 in her for the last 2k miles i figured it might help clean up the engine from the previous owner( all dino juice from the dealer at 7k miles) and might be a little more robust for the towing i was doing the last month. The truck currently had 86k miles on her.

So my question is what would be a good everyday oil for this truck? Would 5w30 M1 EP be a good choice or would something like a 0w-40 M1 be a better choice. I am going to have a UOA done at some point and see how the oil holds up but just looking for a good long OCI oil for now and a safe interval. After a couple changes to get it stabilized ill do some UOA's ans see how far i can push the OCI. Cost is not a real concern but i do like something i can pick up locally. Also i am in Greensboro NC as far a climate.

we have one of them in the shop as we speak getting a rebuild i always liked the way the range rover looked but they are a money pit with a capitol P...
The one i had was beautiful but everything went wrong with that truck and we had it since brand new.
Mobil 1 is a good choice for that engine and 10,000 would be fine if it does not go to much over a year.

I would do UOA, and yes, I would ALWAYS run synthetics. M1 EP is very good choice.
Still, if you are not sure, and have doubts, try running Castrol 0W30.
It has HTHS of 3.58, very stout, PAO based, not overly thick (12.1cst), however quart is $9. Also, if you want thicker oil, go to local BMW and get BMW "OEM" oil (Shell GTL based) 5W30 LL-01.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Mobil 1 is fine. Run the OEM drain interval, and get an analysis.

With that said, if I had a L322, just about the last thing I'd worry about would be the engine...

http://jalopnik.com/my-steering-wheel-broke-and-now-im-up-to-7000-in-carma-1740279128

LOL that is about the truth of it. I seem to find most people either never have a problem or its got something wrong every 3 months. So far mine is somewhere in the middle. But every problem i have had has been a problem of some jack leg mechanic in the past that did not know what they were doing. IE ac compressor bolt cut off short and glued in place
mad.gif
. And a TPMS module. IF this truck was not like driving your living room down the highway i would have bought something different so keep your fingers crossed that she is a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back