Mercedes 320cdi v-6 diesel 9000 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my analysis back from NAPA and have some questions. SUV has 85000 mi and oil had 9k mi. It is Mobil 1 5-40esp. Questions I have are on the following:
Iron 60
Copper 5
Alum 7
Any thoughts on these? I'm concerned about the Iron?? Other results were:
Visc. @ 100c 13.8
Soot .8
TBN 2.8
Their comments thought everything was ok but were concerned about the TBN 2.8 and issued a warning about it getting low. All other readings were normal values.

Remember, one UOA is merely a snapshot in time, and for the question you're asking, a trend (several UOA's) would need to be established. However, a few minutes of research shows your results to match what's expected with these engines.

I know these call for a 229.51 product, but it reminds me of VW and their diesels -- people switch over to a traditional 5w-40 (Rotella T6, M1 TDT, etc.) from the specialized emission oils, and see wear drop significantly.

Although if you have a DPF or SCR system, you might want to stick with the 229.51 oils. For 9000 miles, your numbers aren't that bad, and a 2.8 TBN is a good number for that many miles.

Neodymium magnet for the Fe maybe? I have one on every drain plug. Picks up quite a bit.

Last edited:
+1 on the snapshot. My last analysis was the same oil for 7500 mi. some towing. Iron came in at 41. Where did you find out about these engines producing iron?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Just got my analysis back from NAPA and have some questions. SUV has 85000 mi and oil had 9k mi. It is Mobil 1 5-40esp. Questions I have are on the following:
Iron 60
Copper 5
Alum 7
Any thoughts on these? I'm concerned about the Iron?? Other results were:
Visc. @ 100c 13.8
Soot .8
TBN 2.8
Their comments thought everything was ok but were concerned about the TBN 2.8 and issued a warning about it getting low. All other readings were normal values.

Is this the OM642? What was the silicon? Sometime a leaking or bad aircleaner will increase iron.

Yes it's an OM642 and the silicon was 8. Air filters had only been in there about 10k but they were dirty so I changed them.
I'm thinking I will go 7-8k on the oil in the future because the iron jumped 20 pts in the last 1500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

I know these call for a 229.51 product, but it reminds me of VW and their diesels -- people switch over to a traditional 5w-40 (Rotella T6, M1 TDT, etc.) from the specialized emission oils, and see wear drop significantly.

How do they see that?

Last edited:
Yes it's an OM642 and the silicon was 8. Air filters had only been in there about 10k but they were dirty so I changed them.
I'm thinking I will go 7-8k on the oil in the future because the iron jumped 20 pts in the last 1500 miles.

Thanks, I think 7-8k would be a better idea, then maybe work from there. I have the same engine in a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Cat/DPF/egr still installed. I'm going to be taking an oil sample soon as it has 12000KM's on the Shell Rotella T6 5w40. I'll post the results when I get them.

Originally Posted By: A310

Thanks, I think 7-8k would be a better idea, then maybe work from there. I have the same engine in a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Cat/DPF/egr still installed. I'm going to be taking an oil sample soon as it has 12000KM's on the Shell Rotella T6 5w40. I'll post the results when I get them.

Is your dpf and egr deleted in the computer and just still attached? Isn't that ash spec a little high for the DPF? I don't have to pass any emissions but don't want to clog that DPF. How many miles on your Jeep? I've only got one more oil change with the 5-40esp then will have to switch to something.

Originally Posted By: A310

Is your dpf and egr deleted in the computer and just still attached? Isn't that ash spec a little high for the DPF? I don't have to pass any emissions but don't want to clog that DPF. How many miles on your Jeep? I've only got one more oil change with the 5-40esp then will have to switch to something.

I still have all the emissions gear on the engine, but will be either sell the Jeep this summer or deleting it using GDE delete tunes. I am not a fan of the newer emissions stuff they have on this engine as my wife just uses it as a grocery getter and to and from work. It's not enough highway mileage to complete regen's so I have to take it out every once in a while to complete the full regen cycle. It's got 90,000 Km's and runs great, but is growing oil all the time because of the incomplete regens. I'll know how things stand when I get the oil sample done, I will not be surprised to see 3-7% fuel in the oil though. As as too much ash in the oil, it is recommended for the newer domestic diesels so I'm using it regardless of what Mercedes recommends. As said earlier either selling or deleting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back