Is Michelin really that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
No, Michelin is not worth it. I'll never buy another set of Michelin tires.

That's my exact feelings about their tires as well. I thought about buying them again, but decided I'm done with them.

To a large degree, I think that it can hinge on the individual tire versus it being a Michelin or not. I've had a few sets of Michelins over the years and they've never warranted the 25-30% premium I paid for them.

I can certainly see someone finding the right tire for their application as being a Michelin but I personally have never found them markedly better ( and sometimes worse where wear / cracking is concerned ). If you love your Michelin Pilots that's great...but that shouldn't be construed as the BEST or "really that good" if your car and your driving style don't appreciate them and there are better values from other manufacturers that will fit your application better.

I use the test results on Tire Rack ( for example ) as a general quide and take them with a significant grain of salt because I know that their use of BMWs as test mules are NOT going to replicate the experience I'll have with those tires on my econobox.

Late to the party here but I feel compelled to chip in my two cents.

For me the short answer is yes, but I usually run my tire pressures on the high side and check the pressures often. All of the Michelins on our vehicles (4 wheeled) have run for at least 60k and usually get 80k but what I really like about all of the Michelins that I have experience with is that they still run smooth, true and quiet even with 80% of the usable tread gone.

I know that some Michelins may not be as good as others but they are all that I will buy. After reading this and other threads I suspect that Michelins don't hold up so well when abused and/or subjected to low pressure driving.

Had Energies on the Camry, toast after 30k. Had Primacies and toast too after 30k. Have RT43's and much happier with the increased tire life and snow traction.

Put LTX MS2's onto my Tundra, and jury is still out. 10/32's new, 7/32 left after 25k or so, so maybe a 60k tire? Many rave about them in the snow but I was not impressed, and got a set of snow tires. I also had tire balance problem, and still do. But the wear seems even so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back