Motor Oil In Glass Jars>???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a JAR of Kendall Motor oil, are a flea-market. Pretty cool graphics and stuff.

Trying to date it a bit. I was curious why glass?

Thanks for any help...

If it was ever popular, it was a long time ago. I never remember seeing it. I do remember service stations having racks of glass bottles of oil with tin screw on spouts. The attendants refilled the bottles from large cans or drums. As I child, I survived my father's loyalty to Sunoco exposing me to the sight of the oil in glass bottles that they tried to dye blue. I still have Dad's bottle and spout that he used to change oil in his Nash with oil from 2 1/2 gallon square cans. Nash used a 327 cubic inch I6.

I too remember the glass quart jars with the spouts in filling stations. They would be filled from a drum, as I recall.

I assumed they used glass so you could see the oil, and glass also is completely inert.

And I also seem to remember attendants inverting oil containers, I guess to reverse stratification and settling out of contents?

My, how things have advanced over the years.

I remember Kendall coming in a tin can, and you had to jam a spout (with a pointed edge to it) into the top of the can in order to open and pour.

quote:

Originally posted by Jeffrey:
I remember Kendall coming in a tin can, and you had to jam a spout (with a pointed edge to it) into the top of the can in order to open and pour.

that was pretty much the case for ANY brand of oil, and many of the "cans" were treated cardstock with the only metal being the top/bottom.

Kendall put their oil in glass jars during WWII, when the nation was conserving precious (metals, etc) resources to manufacture war materials, so your jar is about that vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back