white residue on leather steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's black steering wheel has a white residue on it. I believe it is from her hand lotion which she uses daily. I usually wipe wheel with some water and it comes clean. Is there anything else I should be doing instead, I am hesitant to put aanything on wheel as it may get to slick to handle.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Be careful what you use.

I have read people a long time ago using the old greasy Armor All on the steering wheel.

Very dangerous!

That is why I am using only water!

You can think leather as the same as skin.
There are leather cleaners that are available, and also packaged as wipes.

If you want a more out of the box solution, you can also get this done quickly with human makeup remover wipes.
If you're check ingredients to get the ones meant for "sensitive skin", and if you want to go the extra mile, use a damp towel and wipe down with that to remove the residue.

What car is this? With some cars hand lotion also damages soft touch finishes on window switches, etc. Most leather is not really leather, it's leather coated with vinyl.

Why not try a cleaner product? My dad's 2014 Camry had some pretty dirty leather inside recently. I used Chemical Guys Silk Shine and it did a good job after a good wiping. If you use a dry cloth to wipe off the excess right away, it doesn't leave any slippery feeling. I would be a little nervous about using anything on the steering wheel that might cause it to feel slick. You could always spend the money and get a leather steering wheel cover, so the stock steering wheel doesn't get damaged by whatever is leaving the residue in the first place.

Woolite and water works well. One part to 3 parts water. User some utility microfibers. Also Surf City Dash Away at Walmart is very good interior detailer.

Damp microfiber rag/towel will do the trick. Use some elbow grease and it'll be clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back