Is my oil filter supposed to be dry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I changed the oil on my Camry on Saturday. After 2.5 months and 5,000 miles on Chevron Supreme HM & a Fram Ultra.

Yes I feel wasteful for changing the Fram Ultra, oh well.

When removing the Fram Ultra there wasn't any oil in it. Now my oil filter is at a 45 degree angle (pointed downwards).

Now I'm no oil filter genius, but I was under the impression the anti-drain back valve would keep the oil in it?

I could be totally wrong. So essentially my car dry starts every time I start the car?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Not all vehicles require an anti-drain back valve.

His should, they can make mess when they are removed.

Yeah I believe it should've had oil in it too.. I have a similar 98 Camry 2.2L. When I unscrewed the oil filter both times it had oil drain out and gets out onto the equipment below. Trifling. Leave that Fram Ultra on there young man !! Geesh.
smile.gif
just messing with ya. By the way I might ask you for help at times with these Camrys. My Camry has only 85k miles though.. It's in GREAT shape. Very grateful to have it.

Last edited:
I use the same exact filter on mine. I get no oil out of mine because the adbv ia doing its job. A filter can never be "dry" if it's had oil run through it.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah I believe it should've had oil in it too.. I have a similar 98 Camry 2.2L. When I unscrewed the oil filter both times it had oil drain out and gets out onto the equipment below. Trifling. Leave that Fram Ultra on there young man !! Geesh.
smile.gif
just messing with ya. By the way I might ask you for help at times with these Camrys. My Camry has only 85k miles though.. It's in GREAT shape. Very grateful to have it.
great cars.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
define dry.

Like new dry, or dirty oil and just not full.

BIG difference.

Rod
What I mean by dry is no oil came out when removing it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
define dry.

Like new dry, or dirty oil and just not full.

BIG difference.

Rod
What I mean by dry is no oil came out when removing it.

Why would oil come out of it if the adbv was working?

I use to change my oil filter with the OCOD and noticed that sometimes my oil filter would be dry when I removed it. It made for a clean removal with no mess but I knew it had to be bad for my engine with a dry start up. I subsequently used WIX and never had the dry oil filter syndrome again. I now use a Hyundai oil filter and it is always a dripping mess when I change the filter. Messy for me but good for the engine.

Hmmmm. on my 5sfe the filter comes off with no mess yet "dry" yet it mysteriously still contains at least a 1/4 quart of oil removed,. same results with many brands including Fram Ultra, Wix, Purolator, Superrich, mobil 1..If your filter was "dry" you'd be getting the split second sound you'd get with putting a dry filter on .

Tell ya what.. Those Hyundai oil filters are AWESOME looking. A fella just did a C+P of one and it was in great shape. I'm thinking of buying one for my Altima if its $4 or $5 like the guy who did the C+P. That would be a great deal for a obviously very good oil filter.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Tell ya what.. Those Hyundai oil filters are AWESOME looking. A fella just did a C+P of one and it was in great shape. I'm thinking of buying one for my Altima if its $4 or $5 like the guy who did the C+P. That would be a great deal for a obviously very good oil filter.
I'm running one on the Rogue 2.5L. Excellent. They are made by Mann-Hummel in Korea. The mouse-size Nissan service Filters once made in "CHINA" now "GOHNER/MEXICO" are just too small. NO ARGUMENT.

The oil filter drains out through the center tube the oil filter is higher than the crank.

Was the car running before you removed the filter or did you remove the filter on a cold car that sat overnight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back