Castrol magnatec 0w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some comments by people on these forums involved somehow with Castrol testing of Magnatec, and specifically the concept of polar molecules clinging to the metal. Sounded like this was developed to work with hybrids a few years back.

It might contain more esters or something similar to stick to metal surfaces. They said it was hard to flush out of engines, proving it was sticking.

I've seen UOAs with this oil and they look great. Castrol makes quality.

I'm on my second OCI of Magnatec in the KIA and really like it. There was a stellar UOA of Magnatec 5w30 posted recently as well.

Very, very well stated here Lubricatosaurus.
Castrol 0w20 is a full synthetic oil that is a very good product. Castrol is in my top five for sure. I'm going to get the $29.99 special at AAP with a Fram Ultra. European Castrol 0w30 for my Altima. The Fram Ultra will go on my lady's Camry. Ohh this is on special now at AAP too. $23.99 I think. So roll with it man
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Very, very well stated here Lubricatosaurus.
Castrol 0w20 is a full synthetic oil that is a very good product. Castrol is in my top five for sure. I'm going to get the $29.99 special at AAP with a Fram Ultra. European Castrol 0w30 for my Altima. The Fram Ultra will go on my lady's Camry. Ohh this is on special now at AAP too. $23.99 I think. So roll with it man
smile.gif

Shoot yeah man I think I will pull the trigger on it for sure with a wix filter

I did a five car oil change in one day with the 5w-20 version.
Family vehicles.

Was on sale at $18.
I'm using Fram Ultra and Mobil oil filters.
Two cars are new with a new F350 gasser.

So far very smooth and no oil loss in any of them. Have two cars with over 3k on
It. Many Castrol bashers out there but so far I'm a fan.

Navy, it's good stuff mate.

Mostly semi-synthetic, but I hear the 0W20 is full synthetic.

It's quite unique, most semi-synthetics are probably group 2 and group 3 oil. This stuff has an ester (group 5) added to the oil that clings to the metal surfaces and doesn't drain back into the sump when the car is parked overnight. So I think it's some sort of Group 2/3/5 blend. What else gives you group 5 in the mix for that sort of money?

It was talked about here

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3890995/Oil's_Affinity_for_Metal_?#Post3890995

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Had dinner with a former Castrol Chemist, who was involved in some of their testing down here. He no longer works for them, so I see his praise as having some worth.

He was explaining that in their test engines, they use a flushing oil (bugger all additives), followed by the reference oil (Mobil 1 5W-50), followed by a flush, their oil, another flush, the reference oil etc.

He said that during the magnatec testing, the baselines, and the flushes all improved with the residual from the magnatec.

Regards,
Army

Could the added esters that promote the "clinging" to metal surfaces cause sludge at some point? I mean I love the idea that it helps reduce the wear during start ups I just don't want it to "bite me" so to speak later on down the road because it leaves residual amounts of oil that don't drain back down to the sump

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Could the added esters that promote the "clinging" to metal surfaces cause sludge at some point?
Esters are stable enough not to be concerned at all about that. Magnatec 0w-20 is very good overall. I just bought a hybrid yesterday, so I'm thinking about either using Magnatec or Mazda Genuine 0w-20 (a lot of moly in Mazda oil) in it.

Hi Navy, esters have been used in high performance and high temperature race oils for years and Castrol has a long history with ester enhanced race oils. Their original Formula R has esters in it and this eventually turned into their Castrol Edge range (now ester free, more due to economics than chemistry, I assume). My point being Castrol know how to safely use esters in an engine oil and have done for decades. If anything I would predict that it is the more stable part of the formulation.

The Castrol Magnatic has been in Australia for about twenty years. It's is very popular and used in very many cars. It is a well respected oil here, not known for any sludging problems. I believe it is also popular in Europe.

I'm surprised it's not more popular in cold climate areas. It was a long time before I really appreciated what it was. It's not Castrol Edge (group 3 / 4) diluted with GTX (group 2). It is a completely unique product (group 2 / 3 / 5, but only 3 / 5 in the 0W20) that was designed to affordably deal with the real issues most average drivers have. It probably suits my car and driving style better than the more expensive Edge oil (which are better racing and long drain interval oils).

Anyway a quote from another thread from a guy who knows:

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
it started here in the mid 1990s as GTX Magnetic - a synthetically enhanced 15W-50 lubricant. Typically as Castrol was in the throes of selling to BP it was relaunched around 2001 as GTX Magnatec 10W-40 - still "synthetically enhanced"!

Actually the product is a good one - semi-synthetic - and is also available in a "diesel engine" version here in Australia

One of my Sons uses it sucessfully in a highly utilised Japanese turbo-charged 2.5 litre diesel engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Would it be good to use castrol magnatec in my 2000 ford f150 4.6 v8?
That engine calls for 0w-20, 5w-20, 0w-30, or 5w-30. You could use the Magnatec 0w-20, but I'd pick M1 High Mileage 5w-30 or 10w-30, a bit thicker for an old engine.

I had a quick check of the Castrol USA web site.

For GTX Magnatec You guys get:
0W20
API SN
ILSAC GF-5
dexos-1

5W20
API SN
ILSAC GF-5
dexos-1
Ford WSS-M2C945-A , M2C930-A

5W30
API SN
ILSAC GF-5
dexos-1
Ford WSS-M2C929-A , M2C946-A
Chrysler MS6395

10W30
API SN
ILSAC GF-5
Chrysler MS6395

That's heaps of choice for you. What weight oil are you running in your Ford F150 right now? If happy, then stick with that weight in the Magnatec range.

We get a different oil range in Australia. In that F150, I would use our Magnatec 10W30 that is APi SN and ACEA A3/B4. But I like a heavier oil. I'm sure in North America a lot of people would be running the 0W20 or 5W20 or 5W30 in the same vehicle.

Oh, for clarity, the Group 5 ester that clings to the metal surface and protects the engine at start-up, is in every Magnatec oil, not only the 0W20 in the title.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Oh, for clarity, the Group 5 ester that clings to the metal surface and protects the engine at start-up, is in every Magnatec oil, not only the 0W20 in the title.
How do you know its ester they use? Secret proprietary information. Where did you hear ester was it?

The ex Castrol chemist I discussed it with baulked when I asked if it was ester.

There's some small hints in this thread that it's not, the ester is to increase additive solubility.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3606512/Re:_CASTROL_MAGNATEC

Castrol themselves say it here:

http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/4053_magnatec_5w40sp_b1802_05.pdf

"Castrol Magnatec ... contains a synthetic ester unique to Castrol. The molecules of the ester are strongly attracted to metal surfaces, forming a film on these surfaces that provides enhanced wear protection in the engine ... remains adhered to internal metal surfaces when the engine is idle or switched off for weeks or months."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back