ridiculous question ACORN damage???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Left my truck on a street overnight. After a rain storm my truck was covered by acorns falling off a nearby tree. Should I file an insurance claim????

Well, that's entirely up to you. Its a comprehensive claim, so it shouldn't affect your rate. Acorns can definitely dent vehicles. I used to park my old Honda Civic under a tree that dropped acorns and it picked up quite a few dents before I realized it. Painless dent removal can probably get the dents fixed rather cheaply, maybe less than your deductible.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Well, that's entirely up to you. Its a comprehensive claim, so it shouldn't affect your rate. Acorns can definitely dent vehicles. I used to park my old Honda Civic under a tree that dropped acorns and it picked up quite a few dents before I realized it. Painless dent removal can probably get the dents fixed rather cheaply, maybe less than your deductible.

I'd agree, it would be worth asking a PDR place for a quote. Similar to hail damage, they'll usually discount for multiple dent/panels compared to charging per dent. Might be cheaper than going through insurance.

Originally Posted By: EvanD
I Left my truck on a street overnight. After a rain storm my truck was covered by acorns falling off a nearby tree. Should I file an insurance claim????

I would look into PDR. It may a little more than your deductible, but the possible claim avoidance may be cheaper in the long run (?)

My neighbor has a tree that pelts all his cars. It sounds like a slow motion hailstorm sometimes.

Wow I never thought an acorn would dent a car or truck.

I figured it could scratch the clearcoat...

Must be Texas acorns... Would hate to see the squirrels.

Find a quality yet reasonable paintless dent removal guy, and for $2-300 he can probably get 5-6 dents out.

Originally Posted By: EvanD

Covered? Is it that difficult to uncover it now?

Insurance claim for acorns??

You must be "NUTS" Hahaha

I "CRACK" myself up.......

Seriously though, dents from acorns? Wow

Last edited:
run the numbers see how much it'll cost you.

A big mistake people do is have a high deductible where a lower deductible is only a little more per period.

OK, you may say that's wasted money, but the underlying reason you got it at all was that you see yourself needing to using it once, and using it once even every 7years can make the math cancel out.

Acorn damage, like hail damage?
Wind damage, like when tree or branch crushes car?

Its your deductible. If your vehicle is damaged and you don't like the way it looks, get it repaired.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

A big mistake people do is have a high deductible where a lower deductible is only a little more per period.

OK, you may say that's wasted money, but the underlying reason you got it at all was that you see yourself needing to using it once, and using it once even every 7years can make the math cancel out.

Yeah...it IS wasted money. If you're so hurting that you can't eat five hundred on a claim, then you're going to pay for it via increased premiums, and it WILL cost you more than the deductible over the course of just a year or two.

What's that low deductible get you? A few hundred in a claim? For the low, low price of a few hundred every two years?

The insurance company is in the business of making money...and they know your risk. Every dollar they pay out in claims was supported by a couple of dollars in premiums. Allows them to pay their people, and run their business....so, if you want to be certain that you get a few hundred more in a claim, then you will pay more than that in premiums. They're not giving money away...

Your statement just doesn't make sense...unless you're making a claim every year...and you won't stayed insured long with that kind of history.

Back to the OP: You still haven't stated whether the car was damaged. You said it was covered. OK, so clean off the acorns.

If it is damaged, it's covered under your comprehensive. Read your policy for your coverages and deductibles.

Last edited:
If you ran the numbers and it does turn out it cancels out 2 years then i would agree with you. But just pulling numbers out of thin air is a slippery slope argument.

But my point is the numbers are not 2years, it's more like 7 or 8 years. It's was like +$25 per 6months period, not +$200 per 6months. So it makes sense with these numbers for me to take the lower deductible.

Then suddenly, incidents like this which maybe are $800 worth of damage, or a (full) glass incident become covered versus something that is NOT covered due to the deductibles.

Do whatever you want but make sure if you're getting insurance coverage actuality makes sense and not just select the default.

I'll reverse slipperly slope you. What if the upcharge to reduce the Deductible from $1000 to $100 was only +$1 more per 6months.
Would you still say you're just being a cheapskate, and cynically say the insurance company is going to jack your rates so never make an insurance claim?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng

Remember, that guys like Buffet own & love, the insurance business. Why? Because their accounts receivable is automatic and unquestioned. Their accounts payable? They argue with you on the way out. Think about it....

Well we're on the same page. Assuming youre cynical, then the default 500 or 1000 setting they give you probably is the most profitable to them, so if you think theyre out to get you, you should follow my advice to examine and switch away from that default

Really take a look at the options or decline comprehensive altogether.

Signing up for insurance with a high deductible is pure profit as youll never file a claim. When you do yiu wont get much money back. I agree you're playing into their hands if you just click through.

Last edited:
I did run the numbers...for me, the added cost was on the order of $300 every six months. However, one should consider that I insure 7 cars (see signature). The Packard has a different policy...but on the others, I saved a considerable amount of $$ by increasing the deductible from $200 to $500...I have had one claim in the past 10 years...so, I save, roughly, $6,000 over that period, while paying $300 more for the one claim...it's a huge savings, hardly a mistake at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back