Rotella T6 5w-40 vs Valvoline VR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been using the rotella t6 in my engine for about 5,000 miles now with no real problems except traces of silver in my UOA. Some guys on the Miata turbo forum which I frequent have said the t6 has poor film strength over5,000rpm and I rev out to 7500. It's a 1.8L turbo engine running 20psi of boost

Has anyone done direct comparisons of the VR1 vs the T6? I plan to do some track day racing next year and want to make sure I give my engine the best oil possible. I do drive it on the street as well, so something that works there also.

A bit apprehensive to go with a 0w because I have Wiseco forged pistons with a rather loose piston to wall clearance. Don't want to have any excess start-up wear, which is where most of the wear actually occurs, before the pistons warm up and expand.

I am just wondering if the "Rotella T6 is on good over 5000rpm" statement is true or false. These are experienced guys saying this stuff, not random forum trolls. Here's a little back and forth.

Mmeber 1
"If I remember correctly, T6 has a super low film strength at higher temperatures that can easily be achieved on the track but not on the street. T6's film strength is around 60,000psi when at 230°F because it is by design a diesel oil which is not designed for high revs or track abuse. Most other racing oils are at or above 100,000psi at the same temperature. This could potentially cause problems with sustained use. I have no idea how this actually translate to real life."

Member 2
"Based on . . . what?

Oil analyses done on track cars I know of using T-6 show excellent results. Hustler's, mine, Neal B's to name just a few. Came back better than Motul, quite a bit better in fact. And the price is definitely right.

Do you have contrary results?"

Member 1
"Its not really the temperature, just the bearing loads skyrocketing at high rpms, its not like the film strength is miraculously better at 200°F. "

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cleanneon98
A bit apprehensive to go with a 0w because I have Wiseco forged pistons with a rather loose piston to wall clearance. Don't want to have any excess start-up wear, which is where most of the wear actually occurs, before the pistons warm up and expand.

[censored]???? Seriously? What does winter rating have anyrhing to do with loose pistons?

As for T6, in perspective thw oil handles engine outputs that will twist the frame on your miata.

Do bearing loads "skyrocket at high RPMs"....have there been any bottom ends ruined by the thousands of T6 users? Bikers are loving that oil, including me @ 14,000 RPM.

Use T6, use VR1 or M1 0W-40...all will be good.

I always wonder about the film strength and how the add package changes it.

Actually the higher the rpm, the better the oil film thickness (film strength) in bearings, all other things being equal. It's not the other way around.

RT6 is a 40-weight.
Are you talking about VR1 or VR1 Synthetic?
VR1 is not available in 40-weight. It is only available in 10w30 and 20w50 multigrades. You can blend the two to get 15?w50, but it's still a conventional oil, which I wouldn't recommend on a highly turbocharged gasoline engine.

Why would your engine be putting out silver? I checked, and the forged piston alloys don't have silver in them. I would be surprised if the bearings are silver.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Actually the higher the rpm, the better the oil film thickness (film strength) in bearings, all other things being equal. It's not the other way around.

That's what I was going to say!

Originally Posted By: Cleanneon98
..I rev out to 7500. It's a 1.8L turbo engine running 20psi of boost...

These engines are about as sturdy as an anvil even beating on 'em mercilessly with decent boost.

Lubrication related failures are exceptionally rare. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
VR-1 is loaded with AW additives... Way above the others listed. If you are shedding metal, I'd be going there for sure ...

Yes I agree. Go the VR-1

All the others are good oils, but VR-1 is a race oil (get the "road legal" version) and you want to track your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back