Auto-Trak II fluid alternative???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an alternative to GM/AC Delco Auto-Trak II fluid?

I seen that RedLine claims their MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil is a "Popular replacement for and improvement over ... Auto-Trak II® (#12378508)"

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=50204

Has anyone tried it or heard of other fluids that might also work? I don't think Amsoil has a replacement.

My understanding is that GM AT2 fluid is super secret stuff.

Based on my experience I don't see how the 70w80 will be a good replacement for Auto-Trak II. I don't know the viscosity of Auto-Trak II, but it is thin like ATF. Also, the formula is specific to the transfer case, and its clutch packs. No company has an actual approval for Auto-Trak II.
I would stick with the OEM fluid.

It appears the same, in color and viscosity at least, to the fluid that is used in Jeeps with the 247 case. That case also has a clutch pack.

A mechanic at a Jeep garage told me that the fluid is just repackaged Mobil 424 but I'm not sure if there is truth to that or not. I think the 424 fluid is just a friction modified tractor hydraulic fluid? If that is the case then I'm sure you could find it for cheap in bulk.

In any case I haven't had the nerve to try it out myself in the Trailblazers' transfer case.

I have a 99 Blazer. I changed out the transfer case fluid last year. The I think it took around 2 quarts, and it was around $9.xx a quart at the dealer.

auto-trac = tinted synthetic mercon/dextron with a little extra friction modifier in it for the clutches in the transfer case. I would say any synthetic ATF would be an excellent replacement at a better value.

Originally Posted By: ikarus1
auto-trac = tinted synthetic mercon/dextron with a little extra friction modifier in it
You have evidence/proof of this?

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Is there an alternative to GM/AC Delco Auto-Trak II fluid?

Both Royal Purple Syncromax and Valvoline Transfer Case Fluid are recommended replacements for Auto-Trak II. They're also both full synthetic and can also be used in transfer cases calling for ATF like DexIII.

So if you're not 100% sure what type fluid your transfer case calls for then this is a safe choice. But the best way to know what type fluid your vehicle calls for is to have the dealer look it up by its VIN.

My understanding is that GM AT2 fluid is super secret stuff.

How so? Stuff is available everywhere at a not-unreasonable price.

GM and AC Delco Auto Trak fluid comes in 1 liter bottles and not 1 qt bottles. I wonder if it is because it is made outside the US, or because they will sell it outside the US.

Petro-Canada would be the manufacturer.

Last edited:
The Auto-Trak II fluid is a 7.3 cSt@100C fluid (same viscosity as DexronIII/Merc) with a special friction modifier.

Elemental Analysis (what you can see in a $28 analysis):

Boron - 150 ppm
Calcium - 40 ppm
Phos - 300 ppm
Silicon - 3 ppm

Quote:
I would would say any synthetic ATF would be an excellent replacement at a better value.

Better think again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
For how little you have to change out the transfer case fluid, I would stick with Auto Trak 2.

To play devil's advocate and to add to the conversation...

With this opinion shouldn't we all stick with OEM atf in our automatic transmissions too? Especially since it's even less often that it needs to be changed out? Lots of people, including myself, use multi-vehicle ATF's like Maxlife ATF and RP MaxATF in our transmissions with no hesitation and no issues. It's my understanding that an automatic transmission is a lot more complicated of a beast than an automatic or manual transfer case.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The Auto-Trak II fluid is a 7.3 cSt@100C fluid (same viscosity as DexronIII/Merc) with a special friction modifier.

Elemental Analysis (what you can see in a $28 analysis):

Boron - 150 ppm
Calcium - 40 ppm
Phos - 300 ppm
Silicon - 3 ppm

Quote:
I would would say any synthetic ATF would be an excellent replacement at a better value.

Better think again.

Good advice MolaKule. I changed my 2003 Sierra 4x4 Xfer Case Fluid 3 times now in 200,000 miles (on it's 4th fill).

Zero problems and I'm not easy on the drivetrain......

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
For how little you have to change out the transfer case fluid, I would stick with Auto Trak 2.

To play devil's advocate and to add to the conversation...

With this opinion shouldn't we all stick with OEM atf in our automatic transmissions too? Especially since it's even less often that it needs to be changed out? Lots of people, including myself, use multi-vehicle ATF's like Maxlife ATF and RP MaxATF in our transmissions with no hesitation and no issues. It's my understanding that an automatic transmission is a lot more complicated of a beast than an automatic or manual transfer case.

I see your point but don't think one can necessarily draw that kind of conclusion.

This TC has need of specific friction modification. Now Valvoline may well have developed a TC fluid with a spread of friction coefficients that may work well in the three units they claim they cover.

For AT's there are only about 3 or 4 clutch material manufacturers. Many of these materials are similar.

The main differences are found in the programming (timing) of gear changes with engine speed and torque, and clutch/band pressures.

In terms of MaxLife ATF, I think they have done a good job of finding workable dynamic friction coefficients that cover most of the clutch materials, timing, and pressures used.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Its been replaced by Dextron VI in the new trucks.

Yeah, the fluid has been replaced... along with the rest of the transfer case.

Why would the OP care what a completely different transfer case uses for fluid?

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: FastLane
Its been replaced by Dextron VI in the new trucks.

Yeah, the fluid has been replaced... along with the rest of the transfer case.

Why would the OP care what a completely different transfer case uses for fluid?

I'm not sure what transfer case he has. In 2010 auto trak was used. 2012 it's dexron vi. Same t case as far I know. My 2010 isn't automatic which just uses dexron vi. I bought auto trak fluid for the 2012, then read the owners manual...... Dexron Vi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back