Plastilube for slide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend I decided to change my brakes on my truck and with the exception of stripping a slide pin everything went well. I installed a helicoil which worked out a lot nicer than i expected. When the time came to reassemble everything i guess my knowledge just wasn't enough and i greased my slide pins with molykote m77. I now know that is not the proper product. Next week sometime i plan on taking them back out, cleaning them well and applying the proper stuff. I did some research and found that sil glyde and plastilube are two good products and i already had an amazon order ready so i just threw some plastilube in the cart. Well it arrived in the mail today and the back label says in red, "Never apply to rubber parts".

Now im confused because I know people use this stuff with success every day. My plan was to replace the slide pin boots as well as i noticed the original ones were worn and it was somewhat difficult to get the pins to slide in them freely. Is the plastilube okay or should i save it for something else and pick up some sil glyde somewhere?
IMG_0643.jpg

In my experience Plastilube tends to resinify on slide pins. Gums up real good real fast, although it's supposedly rather resilient to moisture due to being a bentonite grease. I would go with a ceramic or silicone-based brake lube.

If it sez not to rubber parts, then follow the instructions.

Guide-pins and rubber components (dust boots) that seals the guide pins, etc. you must use rubber-compatible lube.

I use syl-glide on guide-pins for 2+decades now. They are readily available from NAPA stores.

Thanks for all the info guys. Advance auto has the syl glide in stock ill stop in there tomorrow and pick some up.

Syl-Glide is a safe choice. I use Plastilube only on my eggbeater drills' gears and cogs, although I was advised to never lube those.

Funny.

The German ATE side clearly states:

"Verträglich mit allen Metallen und den meisten O-Ring-Materialien"

Means: "Compatible to all metalls and most O-ring materials"

http://ate-info.de/de/products/datasheet/ate-plastilube-35-ml/

Click on "Vorteile" and see...you could of course also change the language with the button "Sprache wechslen" on top.

The ATE germany site has a tech info, where they recommend to remove the rubber boots of the slide pins out of the brake caliper, grease the bore in the brake caliper with plastilube and place the rubber boot back in the caliper.

This is meant to prevent rust, that maybe compresses the rubber boot and therefore maybe seizes the Caliper slide pins.

Maybe they mean "Dont use on rubber parts beside brake parts" but dont have enough space on the tube?

However, for slide pins i dont like to use Plastilube, its to sticky. I prefer to use Silicon Grease. Let the caliper move freely and smooth.

HTH.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Plastilube is okay to use as anti-squeal lube on the backside of the pad backing plate where it makes contact with the piston. Maybe that's why ATE says it can be a brake lube. I have also used Plastilube on hubs when mounting wheels. It prevents the wheel from adhering to the hub.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Does it say anywhere on the tube that it contains petroleum distillates ?

No, It also doesn't say to use Plastilube on slide pins. It says:

Application examples:

disc brakes
bearings
chains
gears
rails
hinges
sunroof rails
battery poles

Suitable for ABS
pressure resistant
acid-free
copper-free
heat-resistant
long-lasting
does not drip
water-resistant
non-resifying (That's an outright lie!)
does not age ( More lies!)

Note regarding Brakes:

Clean brake cylinders and lube with Plastilube.
Lube piston bottoms and pad backing plates thinly.
Never apply to pads or discs.

No mention of slide pins whatsoever.

I think Plastilube may be vaseline mixed with tree sap.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back