Short Trip Driving = Oil Pan Sludge & Muck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi....I live in the Atlanta GA area where avg. yearly temps. range from 25 F to 90 F.

90% of my driving is repetitive grocery getter trips, I drive 4mi to the store, then on my return return trip back home I take a longer 12mi. drive to heat up the oil a little more.

I'm trying to avoid the sludge build-up in the oil pan that's associated with these short trips.

Will a 5w-20 Grp.3 Synthetic Oil reach it's operating temperature quicker than a 5w-30 Grp.3 Syn.oil, an will it maintain a higher temp.& faster flow that the 5W-30 Grp. 3 Syn. oil will ?

My vehicle is a no passenger, no load 2014 Dodge Caravan 3.6L eng - 6spd. AT mini-van. w/3000mi.

In final gear > 55/60mph. / 1250 RPM +/-

I try to do a weekly 30/40min. freeway drive @ 65mph.

Annual mileage 5000mi. or less.

Oil & Filter change every 3000mi. or less.

I opted for a synthetic oil believing it left a better film on the eng. parts an would circulate quicker on cold starts due to it being slicker, these beliefs may be inaccurate an a lot of hype.

A conventional oil may or may not serve my purpose & driving habits as well as synthetic oil, but this is something I don't know.

NEW Chrysler specs. call for "fuel saving" 5W-20 oil for the 3.6L Penstar eng.

Along with the 5W-20 change, Chrysler/Fiat designated a H-6395 oil specification that required specific brands of oil that had to be used for warranty purposes, I haven't found any relevant info that relates to the H-6305 specs.other than the fact the chosen brands of oil were ones that Fiat held financial interest in.

Prior to 2013 Chrysler called for 5W-30 in the 3.6 Penstar eng., no mods. or changes were made to the eng. to warrant switching to 5W-20 oil, it was strictly a fuel saver that complied with govt. regulations & made thrifty fleet owners happy.

I may be living in the past when Kendall introduced it's 2 thousand mile oil, but it's hard for me to believe a fuel saving oil that thins out like water can protect the moving internal engine parts.

All replies are welcome - Thank you, Oldwagon

In these situations, synthetic is your friend. Rotella T6 is good and has a high level of detergency, so it really helps with sludge build-up. But you are right, getting to temp is the best thing you can do...

I don't see an advantage using syn oils for your oil change intervals or service.

given your driving habits, I'd go with conventional and change it out frequently.

Not caring about the so-called "syn leaves better film ...blah, blah blah", fact is,I'd be more worried about condensation and fuel dilution trapped in your oil due to frequent short trips.

Lastly: sludge and muck is so yesteryear (at least 30+ yrs ago talk). You use the latest ILSAC GF5/API SN grade motor oil, then there shouldn't be such a thing called "sludge and muck" in your oil pan, period.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Oldwagon

I try to do a weekly 30/40min. freeway drive @ 65mph.

Annual mileage 5000mi. or less.

Oil & Filter change every 3000mi. or less.

With that regiment it isn't going to build sludge, quit worrying and use whatever oil that's on sale... No oil is going to heat(at least measurably) any faster than another...

I don't see any problem with what you are doing.
One suggestion, 4 miles to the store and a 12 mile return trip to warm the oil is backwards.
Try the 12 miles drive first and then the 4 miles return trip.

I can't believe people are okay with an extra 8 mile trip just for the sake of warmer oil, if I'm ever that OCD. Kill me. I would never allow a vehicle to turn the tables on me Like that. Good GOD you're in Atlanta not Siberia.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest

Lastly: sludge and muck is so yesteryear (at least 30+ yrs ago talk). You use the latest ILSAC GF5/API SN grade motor oil, then there shouldn't be such a thing called "sludge and muck" in your oil pan, period.

Q.

This...Stop worrying and stop wasting gas by drive extra miles

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: Quest

Q.

This...Stop worrying and stop wasting gas by drive extra miles

+1

I don't think a 4 mile one way trip to the store in a warm climate is a short trip or anything to be concerned about. I'd say the extra miles added on just driving around aimlessly will wear things out sooner than the 8 mile trip will.

Now I have been asking myself the same question about the 20 weight oil, especially since we both are in hot climates!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I don't think a 4 mile one way trip to the store in a warm climate is a short trip or anything to be concerned about. I'd say the extra miles added on just driving around aimlessly will wear things out sooner than the 8 mile trip will.

Now I have been asking myself the same question about the 20 weight oil, especially since we both are in hot climates!

This. The one weekend trip will be fine to clear out a weeks worth of "sins".

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I can't believe people are okay with an extra 8 mile trip just for the sake of warmer oil, if I'm ever that OCD. Kill me. I would never allow a vehicle to turn the tables on me Like that. Good GOD you're in Atlanta not Siberia.

Lol! Comment of he year right here. On the other hand I drive my weekend cruiser sometimes with no destination, no reason to go anywhere, just to drive it, because I feel like driving. Oh, and also to prevent moisture build-up, and get the oil to operating temp.

I drive around too with no destination sometimes, it's always been my thing, but I would never do it for the car's sake.

I'd use synthetic oil in it, and follow a severe service maintenance schedule.

Just an FYI from looking at an owners manual for a 2016 3.6L Wrangler. Chrysler allows the use of a 5W30 oil as well, as long as it meets the MS6395 spec they call for.

I'd get it out on the road at least once or twice a month for at least a 30 minute ride and get that oil good and hot.

OP, you got me so excited with the thread title:

"Short Trip Driving = Oil Pan Sludge & Muck"

I was expecting to see oil plan sludge and muck, with professional quality photos.

- The extra 8 miles is a waste

- If you're doing an extra freeway drive every week solely for a warm up, then it's most likely a waste as well. Yes it will be good to get the engine up to full operating temperature once in while, but unless you are going to the grocery store 5 days a week, your 5000 annual miles suggests there must be trips that fully warm up the oil often enough.

- Your driving style and patterns are well within the ability of 5w20

- 5w20 is far far closer in viscosity to 5w30 then it is to water

- follow the manufacturer oci. You're probably wasting oil as well as fuel right now. dnewton3 only changes the oil in his wife's short tripped, colder climate, supertech dino filled ancient minivan after at least 10k miles.

Lastly, it is probably more important that you use Top Tier fuel then worry about the oil.

These are not 1950's carburated engines, if the 1/9999999999999 chance that it would cut 6 months off the life of your engine, you've still wasted money, put another way, take that money you're using on that 8 mile "warm up" and do the math.

Oldwagon, Stick with your owners manual. The oil life monitor will tell you when to change the oil. Use synthetic oil, change it once a year or by the olm.. The 3.6 warms quickly. Use the recommended 5w-20 It's better for short trips like you are doing. It's not too thin, that engine is designed for it.

I have a 2013 GC. I have 53,000 miles on it, currently I'm running Penzoil Platinum 0w-20. Wife and I have been to 8 states with it. Great van. This is my 7th. van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back