16 Dodge RAM 3500 w/ 6.4L Hemi - Oil spec ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be fantastic on the shelves at the Chrysler dealer.
wink.gif
Maybe that's why my G37 was overfilled when I bought it from a Chrysler dealer. Two of those three litre jugs of Hello Kitty oil were used.

Yeah, you guy are going to like this. Below is a video with the Ram director of marketing and Ram director of Engineering taking questions on the Hemi truck engine family.

At the 13:42 mark, there is a question poised to them on why Ram 6.4L requires 0W-40? They go into detail that the Ram 6.4L truck engine DOES NOT require 0W-40 and can use 5W-30 and even a non-sythetic 5W-30 at that. Also, all their durability testing was done with 5W-30.

https://youtu.be/6jGrVeqE3JI?t=13m42s

Originally Posted By: Justin251
All the manufacturers pretty much suggest/require a bit overkill.

It would appear that way. Seems it was more to align themselves with the SRT 6.4 more than anything else.

Still though, I would not play with anything else while in warranty.

Or to keep someone from putting the cheapest 5w20 in a 3500 gasser and pulling a loaded down horse trailer across country. Then complaining to the dealership about a rod knocking. lol

0w40 is only synthetic and usually of high quality no matter the brand.

There are so few differences between the 5.7/6.4/6.4 SRT engines that it is practically irrelevant. The 6.1 SRT engine is even remarkably similar in most respects.

The difference is duty cycle. That's why everyone understands that you pick the viscosity by your usage, not by engine size.

All the mfgr is doing is attempting to anticipate the worst duty cycle they can imagine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Yeah, you guy are going to like this. Below is a video with the Ram director of marketing and Ram director of Engineering taking questions on the Hemi truck engine family.

At the 13:42 mark, there is a question poised to them on why Ram 6.4L requires 0W-40? They go into detail that the Ram 6.4L truck engine DOES NOT require 0W-40 and can use 5W-30 and even a non-sythetic 5W-30 at that. Also, all their durability testing was done with 5W-30.

https://youtu.be/6jGrVeqE3JI?t=13m42s

Also understand that video was made back in August 2014, just as the 2015 models were just starting to be built.

Last edited:
I have a 2016 Ram 3500 with the 6.4L gasser.

Straight from my 2016 user guide ( page 259 0, and straight from my oil fill cap..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mikeford1

Also understand that video was made back in August 2014, just as the 2015 models were just starting to be built.

That is irelevant. The point is that the RAM 6.4 started in the 2014 model year with 0w-40 being recommended out the gate and the video gives insight that per the engineers statement and durability testing, 5w-30 was used and sufficient .

For warranty purposes, stick to 0w-40

What is the factory recommended OCI on the 6.4L HEMI, which, if I buy the truck, I would certainly follow for the first 60K.

Many variables I know, but for those who own them, any unloaded/non-towing MPG numbers?

Last edited:
Lots of Hemi's come through my engine shop these days i hope they improved a little. As for the warranty follow the om to the T chrysler has been known to try to "weasel out" of warranty payment in the past.

Originally Posted By: smokingun45
What is the factory recommended OCI on the 6.4L HEMI, which, if I buy the truck, I would certainly follow for the first 60K.

Many variables I know, but for those who own them, any unloaded/non-towing MPG numbers?

Factory OCI is follow the OLM but do not exceed 8K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back