Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 API SN in 1991 Proton Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil is pre pureplus version.
Again, they say its high lead, but what I don't get is, this is probably happening since the engine has been rebuilt 11 years back, if the wear is excessive, wouldn't I get low oil pressure by now? But, oil pressure is great ! At 90C its registering about 20psi. Some of you may have read my question about smoke at start up, I noticed a fair amount of water coming out from the exhaust as the exhaust gets warmer, well from this report and from my observation of the oil on the filler cap and dipstick, there is no water in the oil. So probably its exhaust condensation trapped in the S flow muffler.
Is the high lead caused by improper break in..maybe the bearings are still breaking in till today...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
TBN is too low... Might to switch to div>

No TBN on the latest uoa.

i decided not to do tbn this round..since the malaysian currency has dropped significantly and 10 bucks is a lot right now. Anyway at 11000km the tbn is for sure somewhere around 3 to 4 so i am not worried at all. I also notice the oil has thickened just a tad..so i guess
that it is done after all with the low quality ron 95 fuels we get here.
any other possible area where the lead is coming from?

LOL its blank for TBN, not 0.4 which is the percent of insoluble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
i just saw the pictures of your car's interior, man that looks ancient.

yes it is..its a 1980s design..however it is decent inside with no dashboard cracks so i guess that is all that matters to me.

Originally Posted By: alcyon
i decided not to do tbn this round..since the malaysian currency has dropped significantly and 10 bucks is a lot right now. Anyway at 11000km the tbn is for sure somewhere around 3 to 4 so i am not worried at all. I also notice the oil has thickened just a tad..so i guess

Not sure how the gasoline 500 ppm Sulfur content is affecting this used oil qualities , wait for experts to chime.

Btw, what's the oil types in the 2 previous sample?
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: alcyon

Not sure how the gasoline 500 ppm Sulfur content is affecting this used oil qualities , wait for experts to chime.

Btw, what's the oil types in the 2 previous sample?
blush.gif

1st was castrol edge 0w 40 api sm
2nd amsoil 10w 40

Thanks for the update.

Basing on a typical KV@100 of 13.1 cSt (assuming it's your initial value) and flash point of 419 F, despite fuel content at
Do you encounter high coolant temperature, high rpm drive and too frequent short trips?
confused.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

Basing on a typical KV@100 of 13.1 cSt (assuming it's your initial value) and flash point of 419 F, despite fuel content at
Do you encounter high coolant temperature, high rpm drive and too frequent short trips?
confused.gif

I would draw a completely different conclusion.

To me the metals do not look oil related but I suspect an engine mechanical issue.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Thanks for the update.

confused.gif

To me the metals do not look oil related but I suspect an engine mechanical issue.

no high coolant temp and oil temp either. Oil temp reaches 106c when driving at highway speeds for long periods. Normally oil temp never reach a 100c .
coolant tenp never more than half. Each trip minimum 30km on most days. What perpelexes me is the engine runs great with good oil pressure.
there was some pinging on accelration.after this oil change I just only retarded timing by 1 degree and engine seems to run queiter with no pinging anymorw but some lose of accelaration.
It could be improper break in..its still breaking in until now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benito

No TBN on the latest uoa.

My mistake I thought the insol was the TBN i was like holy god...

zeng said:

Look like you are right ,
thumbsup2.gif

zeng said:

Look like you are right ,
thumbsup2.gif

no specific conclusion has been proven right at this moment. Don't jump the gun.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't see any problem here. Bearings do wear with use, they are designed that way. This report (lead) doesn't look excessive for a little, old, and short geared car. You are doing fine with 10-11k OCI on this engine.

I do 'hear' it's sent to Blackstone, probably US................ OP should be able to confirm.

Out of curiosity did you have to ship the oil from Malaysia to the USA to get it analyzed?

yes sir..and to zeng...there is no other way..have to ship it to blackstone. Cost me rm21 for shipping.

Hi Alcyon,

Just a question related to Shell oil analysis: did you add any oils at the 11000 km OCI (top-up oils)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back