the worst oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does first oil change at 30 miles
factory fills are trash
synthetic is inferior to conventional
engine is machining itself?
toyota recommends 0w-20. puts in 5w-30.

I've done many frequent early oil changes at 500-800 miles, synthetics included. And even though the oil looks clean and bright (honey bronze) on the dip stick and also when pouring out in the light....it looks dark in the oil waste pan. I wonder if that could be because the background is black plastic? I recommend a white one in the future.

Wouldn't you expect some metal wear particles on that first break in, even at 30 miles? At some point this engine was run for the first time bone dry of oil everywhere beyond the oil pump. The result of that will show up in the brand new oil. If the OEM recommends 20 weight why use a 30 weight on a brand new car?

I think I'll make an oil change video for the RX350, 20w50 ought'a do it, 0w20 is just too thin!
57.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wonder if that could be because the background is black plastic?

It's because you're looking through more of the oil, as compared to on the dipstick or even in the stream coming from the drain hole. There is more oil between the light source and your eyes, so less light passes through it. It's the same reason some clouds look black while some appear to be white. If a cloud is more dense than another, less light passes through, so the cloud appears to be darker.

(I didn't watch the video; my apologies if this was in reference to, or mocking, something in the video.)

Originally Posted By: jr047
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wonder if that could be because the background is black plastic?

It's because you're looking through more of the oil, as compared to on the dipstick or even in the stream coming from the drain hole. There is more oil between the light source and your eyes, so less light passes through it. It's the same reason some clouds look black while some appear to be white. If a cloud is more dense than another, less light passes through, so the cloud appears to be darker.

(I didn't watch the video; my apologies if this was in reference to, or mocking, something in the video.)

The bigger effect here with new oil is the dark background of the waste oil receptacle. Take fresh oil and pour some into the standard 1 qt cap with white background. It looks honey bronze. Now do the same thing with a black cap with black bottom. It looks black now. This is part of the "science" that the guy in video used to condemn this factory fill. How much light gets reflected off a black vs. white surface? I'd also estimate that the depth of 4 qts of oil in the waste pan (see video) is about the same thickness as what's pouring out of the oil pan (3/8-1/2"). One is honey and one is black...same oil. I agree there are 2 effects. It's like looking through 20 ft of water above Bahamian white sand bottom.

Really the only really questionable thing he is doing is using a heavier oil. Is that oil acceptable in the manual? My elantra allows 5/20 and 5/30. Conventional changed appropriately is not a problem, he just has some odd idea about synthetic.

The engine is machining itself?
crackmeup2.gif

A waste of his time, and perfectly good oil too!
That stuff he sees is what is removed by the oil filter
before it reaches the engine.

As far as oil weight, I agree that 5w-30 is probably the most all around robust for this model but due to the warranty I would have kept the Toyota recommended weight in it.

Why he would use dino in a car that is engineered from the get go for synthetic is beyond me. Seems silly.

Last edited:
The 2014 Civic we have will be getting Edge and TGMO 0W-20 for it's next couple OCIs as that's what I've got. No fear of the 0W or 20 here.

But I do like my T6 in the Accord. Maybe if I didn't make that engine cry all the time...

At least he didn't start his engine with no oil in it to drive it down the ramps like in that smart car video someone posted a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back