S&W Internal Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a very pro-gun area and I wouldn't delete any built in safeties. Just no need. Carry a gun with a design you're comfortable with. If it's not a carry gun removing the lock simply lowers resale value.

I've carried a Smith 340 (11 ounce .357 Magnum snubby hand grenade) for years. I read reports online of them locking up due to the recoil. I removed the lock parts using the YouTube video posted above, as I require my guns to be 100% and I dont like the thought of it locking up when I need it most.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've carried a Smith 340 (11 ounce .357 Magnum snubby hand grenade) for years. I read reports online of them locking up due to the recoil. I removed the lock parts using the YouTube video posted above, as I require my guns to be 100% and I dont like the thought of it locking up when I need it most.

What did you plug the hole with?

Originally Posted By: Doog

What did you plug the hole with?

I removed the little "flag" inside the gun, the part that actually locks up the gun. I then returned the round locking cylinder looking part. From the outside, it looks factory and unmodified, but there is no possible way for it to lock up now.

Some of the guys above mentioned grinding off the cam part of the locking cylinder. This does nothing and the gun can still lock up. You have to remove the "flag" portion of the internal locking mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Just remember that if you live in an area with a anti 2nd amendment prosecutor and you use that gun to defend yourself you open yourself up to an uncomfortable line of questioning on why you made your gun "less safe" by removing a safety device.

That is extremely doubtful. There have been, and in fact are now, many members of law enforcement who carry 1911's with pinned grip safeties. This is yet another one of those Internet myths that lives on, much like the use of hand loads in a self defense shooting will cause you instant legal problems.

Lawyers and prosecutors can, do, and will play dirty. Why give them any ammo (no pun intended)? Most myths have a grain of truth to them.

What ever condition your safety is in, or how it's used isn't going to matter. Self defense shootings are either just.... Or they are not. Even if you live in an anti gun political climate. Ammo and safety type are not going to matter if your actions were prudent and proper from a legal standpoint.

It's a bit like shooting someone in self defense with a old model Colt single action with 6 in the cylinder, or a new Ruger with a Transfer Bar Safety. Most of these guys aren't knowledgeable enough to know the difference of the operation of either. They're lawyers, not gunsmiths.

Problem is that is a black and white world, and the real world tends to be in shades of gray. Plus I know that sometimes, an expert is called to examine the evidence, and that expert may point out the modifications.

Add to that, a jury of my peers, may be a jury of easily buffaloed idiots.

So instead of modifying an existing gun to where I like it, I will just get a gun that works from me from the get go as far as safeties are concerned.

I can tell you one thing for sure. I have worked on more S&W revolvers than most people will see in a lifetime, "no brag, just fact" as Will Sonnet used to say. The locks are an idiot's solution to the wrong problem, but that's another story. In today's world, if you modify the gun's lock, and it is ever used in an accidental shooting, which admittedly, is unlikely statistically, but possible, you would be in deep do-do. I would never alter or remove it. My revolvers were mostly for target use, so a lock jamming wasn't a life threatening experience. On the S&W guns I use for protection, there is no lock, period. I'd buy a used gun without the lock, case closed, no problems. There are plenty of used guns to go around, revolver or semi auto, to not need to use one with a lock.
Don't alter it, don't buy one with it, and if you do trade it for one without it, if you feel it's a problem.
Having said all that, they are pretty well designed, and unlikely to fail. The more pressing problem is locking the darn thing and then needing to use it, that's the stupidity of the self protection aspect of it. If you make something safe for the average idiot, there will always be an above average idiot.

I have a great many S&W revolvers. All were purchased new. Not one has a lock. Not so much by choice, it's just that I completed my collection of double action S&W's BEFORE they decided to start locking them. There are some advantages to being a Baby Boomer.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Lawyers and prosecutors can, do, and will play dirty. Why give them any ammo (no pun intended)? Most myths have a grain of truth to them.

Your honor I have never modified the gun. As far as I know, it is in factory condition, as it came from Smith and Wesson. I did lend the gun to a friend when they were getting stalked by an ex husband. It is possible that the gun may have been modified while it was out of my custody, but I guess we will never know for sure."

Originally Posted By: hatt
Smith makes a 340 without the lock.

True, but the new 340 is 2 ounces heavier than my older 340. They no longer use the scandium cylinder and now use a stainless cylinder.

My 11 ounce 340 disappears into a pocket. Its amazing.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Smith makes a 340 without the lock.

True, but the new 340 is 2 ounces heavier than my older 340. They no longer use the scandium cylinder and now use a stainless cylinder.

My 11 ounce 340 disappears into a pocket. Its amazing.
I imagine. I love my little 642. Take away four ounces and you'd have to feel it every once in a while to make sure you had it.

The lock isn't a Safety device as a Grip safety or a firing pin block . It is a storage safety . As with reloads the bullets are designed to work between a minimum and a maximum feet per second so no matter how the bullet is reloaded . More FPS the bullet will not work properly and less FPS the bullet will not work as designed.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The lock isn't a Safety device as a Grip safety or a firing pin block . It is a storage safety . As with reloads the bullets are designed to work between a minimum and a maximum feet per second so no matter how the bullet is reloaded . More FPS the bullet will not work properly and less FPS the bullet will not work as designed.

And when the lock malfunctions, the whole thing won't work at all.

Originally Posted By: billt460
But it may not even matter

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/...sparking-fears/

This is nothing but more liberal political nonsense. Obama could not even get increased background checks passed after Newtown. So how is the Hildabeast going to manage gun confiscation? Especially with a Republican House and Senate. As usual, she's just blowing more smoke.

A Federal Judge just upheld the assault weapon ban in NY and CT. So the anti gun folks will never stop picking away at it.

A Federal Judge just upheld the assault weapon ban in NY and CT. So the anti gun folks will never stop picking away at it.

Cuomo's "Safe Act" is currently running close to 90% non compliance. Free people will never give up their guns. If and when they decide to go door to door, it will become a blood bath. This country has had it with these renegade communist politicians. Clinton is just running her mouth..... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back