Motorcraft FL400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
How has the 400S been holding up in regards to the Puro tearing issues? I want to use them on my Ranger but ive been hesitant due to the issues.

Last edited:
I have been using them for years as we have 3 different engines I use them on, including my wifes '14 Escape. Menards had them on clearance for $1.75 each and I cleaned them out.

Of the however many folks ran here, I recall seeing 2 or 3 "failures." One looked liked a Purolator tear and another looked like a manufacturing defect.

I'd still run them worry free.

FL-400s filters are excellent filters. I run them on my 2010 Fusion (it specs the 910s filters, but the 400s is the oversize alternative). To date, I have not seen a bad 400s come off my car.

Here's a picture of the last two that came off the car - Each has ~7,500 miles on it.

ndwvpe.jpg

As you can see, no defects whatsoever. Solid, straight filters.

The FL-400s is a real gem and a bargain IMO, I have run a bunch of them they remain a personal favorite. Never had a defect in one of mine, a couple of Motorcrafts have been posted here with minor issues but thus far Motorcrafts seem to be largely immune to Puro's recent issues.

I run them on my 97' Jeep before. No issues. Currently have a FRAM hm-16 on as was "rollback". Will run more FL-400S though

Originally Posted By: Noobie
Actually, we are getting almost no tear reports right now so i wouldnt worry about it.

That's because hardly anyone here still uses Purolators, except for their full synthetic one.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
How has the 400S been holding up in regards to the Puro tearing issues? I want to use them on my Ranger but ive been hesitant due to the issues.

MC have always been good oil filters and for the $ you get a good filter.

All the cut opens I have seen have all looked good.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Noobie
Actually, we are getting almost no tear reports right now so i wouldnt worry about it.

That's because hardly anyone here still uses Purolators, except for their full synthetic one.

I agree the "cut and post" crowd here has definitely moved away from them. Has to be skewing things... we are in fact hardly getting any Classics posted at all good or bad.

I've been wondering this myself.
Recently I've changed out my FL400's and switched them over to Fram Tough Guards.
Afterwards I did autopsy's and the FL400's looked just like the ones posted previously in this thread.

Right now I'm split. I might order a case of them, or a bunch of different but same application filters on closeout from RockAuto. Or I might start running 2x 5000 mile OCI's on the Tough Guards.

Having a baby sure does change your outlook on how you spend your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back