Which copper sealant for exhaust gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to re-install an exhaust system from the manifold back in a few days. Locally I can get

1) Permatex ultra copper, squeeze tube

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/produ...et-maker-detail

2) K&W (CRC) Copper coat:

http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=401504

It says the working temp of the Permatex is 700F, that of the K&W 400F. Is that adequate? I'd rather get the K&W as it's got a dauber for easier/more precise application than the Permatex tube.

Sound ok or go with the permatex? I notice the K&W doesn't specifically mention exhausts in its application recommendations.

Who told you you have to use gasket sealant on exhaust gaskets ?

Usually exhaust gaskets have that silver coating (whatever it is) that protects the gaskets from heat.

The only sealant I've ever used (and that's usually only for problem areas or when putting a manifold direct to the cyl head) is Taber's Flo-Ex. It's a little mom and pop company out of Missouri and it strait up works.

They call it a hot gasket cement. Goes on runny and hardens/expands with heat.

Last edited:
This is what I'm talking about here. The shiny silver stuff. What is it ?

1390f_308qv_exhaust_manifold_gaskets.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
What difference does it make what it is?

I'm impressed by that stuff. I've got as whole stack of Briggs & Stratton head gaskets made out of that stuff and I've reused them several times. The gaskets never wear out like carburetor gaskets do.

The silver color is graphite (a form of elemental carbon). The whole gasket is made of solid graphite. It is not a coating.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This is what I'm talking about here. The shiny silver stuff. What is it ?

1390f_308qv_exhaust_manifold_gaskets.jpg

Thin aluminum sheet over graphite AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Thin aluminum sheet over graphite AFAIK.

Thank you sir. That makes perfect sense. And if I had to guess, I'd say the perforations in the thin layer of aluminum is to help it compress.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would guess it helps keep the substrate material together also.

Indeed, I am pretty sure there are zero gaskets made of pure graphite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back