Best Household Tool Kit for the casual user??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two sons are 35 and 33. Both have need for a better tool kit than the $25 college dorm room kit I purchased for them when they graduated from High School. Neither is particularly handy where they would need a full set of "tackle anything" mechanic tools. Both have also managed to lose half the screw drivers in their kits through neglect or loaning them to friends.

I spotted this set tonight at Lowes and am wondering if others have seen this tool kit discounted as we approached the Holidays in previous years.

Lowe's Kobalt Home Owner Tool Kit

Any other suggestions for composite tool kits?

I know this kit is lacking a set of Channel Lock style pliers, and could be supplemented by adding a hack saw and a carpenter's saw.

Last edited:
What's the price of that set? It's ok for starters. Once you start to do work on anything, you'll start to pick up the odd specialty tool. I would think that Vice Grips and a good stud finder are also necessary tools as well.

They'll also need a drill at some point if they get serious.

Of course you always try to buy on sale. Black Friday and Fathers day are good times to pick up stuff.

Last edited:
That's way overboard for casual use, and the wrong assortment.

They likely need separate tool kits for mechanical things and household repairs. No one needs deep sockets to hang a picture. And carrying a hammer when fixing a car might just runs the risk that it will be used.

I suggest buying multiple cheap screwdrivers in the common sizes, as well as a small cheap wrench set. That will keep the quality tools from being loaned out or used where they might be misplaced.

And definitely get a few pry bars. Screwdrivers and chisels last much longer where pry bars are available.

Originally Posted By: JC1
What's the price of that set? It's ok for starters. Once you start to do work on anything, you'll start to pick up the odd specialty tool. I would think that Vice Grips and a good stud finder are also necessary tools as well.

They'll also need a drill at some point if they get serious.

Of course you always try to buy on sale. Black Friday and Fathers day are good times to pick up stuff.

Lists at $239 locally and is why I am hoping it goes on sale. One son has a cheap cordless drill, other has nothing. Vice Grips would a great addition too. I was considering a follow-up gift of a 4-piece cordless tool kit as well; drill, circular saw, recip saw, powerful light, and charger with batteries seem to be the standard pieces in such kits

Originally Posted By: djb
And carrying a hammer when fixing a car might just runs the risk that it will be used.

LOL Actually, one son drives a GrandAm and a claw hammer is the best tool for removing those pesky plastic pins GM used to secure all the underhood panels hiding the air filter and battery.

Yeah, I was hoping to make this easy but I might need to price out a bunch of close-out screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers at Epsteins. They may be cheaper than an already assembled kit.

If its for home use, i'd avoid the kit and buy a wonder bar, good hammer and a 2ft or 4ft level, a werner folding platform, a small drill bit set and if he does not have one, a cordless drill.

For automotive use, I would buy a craftsman set of sockets, a set of pliers, channel lock , regular and needle nose. A screwdriver set, an adjustable wrench or two. An allen wrench set, and if he/she does brakes a BFH.

Either of these sets could be picked and be better than the assembled kit above. The socket sets are less expensive when you buy a set.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
Both have also managed to lose half the screw drivers in their kits through neglect or loaning them to friends.

I would fix this problem before I gave them anything.
They are going to lose anything you give them.

But I like the 158 PC craftsman set, has a lot of Wrenches

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
If its for home use, i'd avoid the kit and buy a wonder bar, good hammer and a 2ft or 4ft level, a werner folding platform, a small drill bit set and if he does not have one, a cordless drill.

For automotive use, I would buy a craftsman set of sockets, a set of pliers, channel lock , regular and needle nose. A screwdriver set, an adjustable wrench or two. An allen wrench set, and if he/she does brakes a BFH.

Either of these sets could be picked and be better than the assembled kit above. The socket sets are less expensive when you buy a set.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Both have also managed to lose half the screw drivers in their kits through neglect or loaning them to friends.

They are going to lose anything you give them.

In that case, if they are going to lose them, or loan them out like that, I'd buy something other than tools, or forgo craftsman and go with ( flame suit on) Harbor freight.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Exactly, they need to learn to ask for tools from others! Maybe a Uncle or Grandpa has some tools to loan.... If you loose your own tools, borrow.

I think a HF set would do either fine. Spend under $100. Sears will also have sets on sale as the holidays approach.

Do they work on their cars at their house? Do plumbing? Electrical? Carpentry?

Most people who appreciate tools keep them neatly arranged and do not loose them.

I have a medium tool carry basket that I bring outside to work on things. I have a HF socket set for the carry basket. My Wright sockets stay in my garage.

Given your conditions, the Lowe's kit seems like OVERKILL. Particularly since they lose "half the screw drivers".

I bought this one for a lady friend who had nothing at all at home. Hard to beat the price and I found the tools actually usable. I suggested she might want to buy one for her son before hers suddenly disappears....

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00169254/#
Cost: $8

It may even fit in a stocking....

if they lose tools,
unfortunately it's sad to say the most important part of the kit is the molded plastic case so it's obvious something is missing and they remember to put the tool back.

it also easier to store flat in a closet that they can stack more stuff on, instead of a tool bag

I'd go even cheaper with a $30 basic kit instead of a $200 one.

Then a cordless drill and a set of bits. Again the biggest buying factor is if it comes with a plastic case organizer.

E.g.:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26910088?wmlsp...472&veh=sem

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Harbor Freight tools in the right situation. I keep my good tools in a rollaway at the house and an assortment of cheap tools (Harbor Freight and other) in my truck and car to use in a pinch. If they get lost, misplaced or stolen no worries.

I checked Harbor Freight and don't see anything similar. The advantages of a molded case are the ability to see if something is missing, and ease of storage. The disadvantage is that you cannot add someting to the kit, wheras with a tool bag you can add an item or two before exceeding the bag's capacity.

As far as losing the screwdrives, i am as baffled as I am disappointed. They have lost no sockets, no wrenches, no pliers, not even any of the tiny bits that fit in the bit driver! Only a couple screwdrivers each from their 15 year old $25 kits. Both sons have had multiple room-mates in college and grad school (plus a spouse and fiancee') so it may be that a friend borrowed a driver and neglected to return it.

Still looking at other options including assembling my own kits for them comprised of discount priced tool sets. Wow, wrench sets and socket sets are expensive!

My two sons are 35 and 33. Both have need for a better tool kit than the $25 college dorm room kit I purchased for them when they graduated from High School. Neither is particularly handy where they would need a full set of "tackle anything" mechanic tools. Both have also managed to lose half the screw drivers in their kits through neglect or loaning them to friends.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but if they're not handy by now, and they care nothing about replacing their lost tools, buying them new tools isn't going to change anything.

They're in their mid-30's, loose the tools you gave them, not handy, and don't care enough to buy some (any) of their own tools...

I think THIS and THIS are all they need.
grin.gif

With Black Friday just around the corner, wait before buying anything. Find some stuff online and check it occasionally for sales. I bought my Craftsman set a few years ago for 66% off.

A decent wrench/ ratchet set would be a good starter. You could buy pliers, a hammer etc. separately.

Originally Posted By: linksep
They're in their mid-30's, loose the tools you gave them, not handy, and don't care enough to buy some (any) of their own tools...

grin.gif

That is funny!

grin.gif

crackmeup2.gif
11.gif

grin.gif

HAHA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back