Mint 89 Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new driver asked a mechanic to put an air filter in her car. Once in awhile we will help out a bus driver, a lot are single mothers etc.
This is probably the worst case I remember, we have had some real wrecks before but wow! All that black is exhaust from a broken pipe at the manifold! I wonder how long before the fire or the driver is sick?

Is that a new type of EGR system?
grin2.gif

I hope they drive with the windows cracked, that carbon monoxide is going right into the cabin.

The bottom of the door has me impressed. If not for what looked to be a side swipe incident, I am sure the poor thing would look much better.

That engine though... looks like a locomotive.
laugh.gif

Clearly the exhaust break is moving the problem upstream. That much soot can't be a normal operating procedure.. And they say TDIs put out too much soot!

She should sell it to some hipster who thinks it's "steampunk". Bet she'd get $3000.
wink.gif

And, OMG, I see a vacuum doohickey for the "heat stove riser" that sucks air from the exhaust manifold to the carburetor. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Remember,Toyotas last forever,and never need repair.You could go 300K miles and not spend a dime on repairs.....(the common mythology).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Remember,Toyotas last forever,and never need repair.You could go 300K miles and not spend a dime on repairs.....(the common mythology).

1989 that obviously neglected to no end and musters on......

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I think this example actually perpetuates that reputation... Its 26 years old and hasn't had a whole lot of TLC, and is still going atleast. It must've been leaking enough oil from somewhere to keep it from rusting out to make it this long too.
I still remember our 85 hatchback fondly, and it was a tough old nag.

That car has more exhaust coming from the edges of the hood than from the tail pipe.

I would be afraid of knocking myself out while driving..cant turn on interior fan....not even cracking the window would provide relief...yikes.

Woah! At first, I thought the black on the front fenders was overspray or just paint to keep the fender from rusting after an accident.

Does she have any intention to fix that exhaust? Have the "guy-with-welder" dude lay a quick [censored] bead to get the exhaust flowing out the back again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back