What's up withKTM's obsession with Motorex oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
http://www.motorexitalia.it/mainwebsite_html/motorex_2010/images/4t/crosspower4t_10w60.pdf

It's the stuff that's got no detail in the parameters that's important.

HTHS >3.5, while the KV100 is a number, 23.4...is the KV IS 23.4, then it's shear stability is horrid, the HTHS should be 6 for a reasonable oil that "needs" a 23.4 KV100.

Pour point says they've used lots of low visc stuff, and they don't give a flashpoint except >200C, which you can get with just about anything.

Rotella T6 "offers" better protection, that being HTHS, and low temperature pumpability, and viscosity.

M1V-Twin would kill it in high temperature protection.

If you want something more exotic, then Amsoil MCV.

Ok sounds like great advice to me! I have 3 bikes. Using the same oil in all of them has its advantages so the shell T6 really sounds like a great option that'll get me that advantage. Just a little concerned about it not being a 50 weight for the KTM, even though HTHS is greater than motorex's 50 weight.

I understand...clearly, they want more than the minimum 3.5 by speccing 50s and 60s, but the oil company is only offering a minimum spec...as a minimum value.

HTHS was brought into J300 after the US fuel economy multigrades were found to be underperforming in wear, and when they researched, they found that the multigrades under the high shear rates in bearings and the like behaved like grades lower.

An SAE30 mineral will have an HTHS of 3.4+...that's what the "natural" HTHS for a 30 is, but API 40s are 3.5 minimum.

for an eg (not a recommendation), look at the simplest monogrades e.g. the CITGO.

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/C10005A.pdf

the SAE minimums were to try to drag the ILSAC economy oils up to a minimum performance level (0W, 5W, and 10W 40 were until recently allowed to have the same HTHS as a 0W, 5W, 10W 30...really whacked).

So I'd stick with HTHS, personally.

Motorex are offering a "minimum" of 3.5...that's whacked and weaselwords...same as their flash point minimum.

I personally think that the CAT TO-4 requirement best represents what J300 SHOULD have been, and especially in a shared gearbox requirement.

cat%20t04.jpg

So if you want to stick to the KV grades, then try and find one that does the HTHS that CAT thinks needs to be represented to be in a gearbox.

I'll be sending in the Amsoil 60 within the next month or so for UOA and will post the results. I will be checking out the amsoil 10w-60 dirtbike oil next (my bike is non-catalyzed)

the amsoil straight 60 has been good. There have been occasional missed shifts to second gear (which might be my lazy left foot). I've probably had to add about 500 ml of oil over the course of 2000 miles which the sae 600 which is tantamount to the motorex 10w-60.

Originally Posted By: albertdi
I'll be sending in the Amsoil 60 within the next month or so for UOA and will post the results. I will be checking out the amsoil 10w-60 dirtbike oil next (my bike is non-catalyzed)

the amsoil straight 60 has been good. There have been occasional missed shifts to second gear (which might be my lazy left foot). I've probably had to add about 500 ml of oil over the course of 2000 miles which the sae 600 which is tantamount to the motorex 10w-60.

I'm glad to see this is working out for you. I have my eye and a Duke for the spring.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
I had a KTM 690 SMC. I bought it used and was told by original owner, no almost warned by original owner, to only use Motorex 10w60 in it. It's also stated to use only that oil in that bike in the KTM owners manual.

I just purchased a KTM 1290 Super Duke R and Motorex labeling is on the bike and specified in the owners manual.

Really, if warranted, I'd have no issue spending $20/liter for this oil. The question I have is why should I when there are very good products for less. Mind you the owners manual also suggests use of KTM brake fluid, chain cleaner and lube, coolant, fork oil and even polishing waxes!

Anyone know why Motorex products are so highly encouraged in KTM bikes?

Where did you pick the 1290R up at?

Shannow....So essentially you've stated here that an HTHS of 4.5 is a more relevant characteristic than is 50w that one sees on the label, correct?

Last edited:
Shannow....So essentially you've stated here that an HTHS of 4.5 is a more relevant characteristic than is 50w that one sees on the label, correct?

Yep, spot on.

I have a real loathing for some of these "high end" (high priced) wide spread spread oils that don't live up to their rating.

E.G. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Racing_Oils.aspx

the M1 0W50 has only the same HTHS (protection) as their 0W40 at 3.8, and I'm getting 3.6 with my 5W30 A3/B4.

If your option is a low HTHS 50, or a 40 in the low 4s (HTHS), I would take the 40 every time.

Gamesmanship with specs. Gotta love it. Thanks for the information. I'll be putting it to use.

thumbsup2.gif

Own a 2015 KTM Super Adventure 1290 LC8 engine. First oil change at 600 miles, added Mobil 1 10w-40 race oil. Noticed a "little" more upper engine rattle, decided to drain it at 2600 miles. Added Mobil 1 v-twin 20w-50, preceive "maybe" a slight bit less rattle or cam noise in upper engine which is probably consistent with heavier oil. Now, just came back from Biketobefest in Daytona Beach, Florida with 3600 miles. I am happy so far but here is my plan.

Like others paying $20/liter of Motorex is total bull [censored] for carp oil. Yes the spec does call for 10w-60 or 10w-50. I learned mobil 1 10w-40 is probably on the light side, especially after several thousand miles of shearing. Also it is fairly expensive even at Wal-Mart. So, this time I used $11/quart mobil 1 20w-50 which I will change after 5000 miles. My next oil change plan it to continue oil changes at 5000 mile intervals but use mobil 1 15w-50 which I can buy for less than $23 for 5 quart container are Wal-Mart. So for around $5 and change per quart, I'll just flush the oil out every 5000 miles and not worry about shearing. The factory service interval for this KTM is 9,800 miles with the carp motorex oil, so 5,000 miles on mobil 1 sounds reasonable. I will do oil analysis when the v twin 20w-50 comes out.

Last edited:
Horsepoor, first off, awesome bike. I want one. But not sure I'd use the automotive 15W50 in it for 5000 miles. It's known to shear down to about the 11's in cST after at least 2500 miles or so in some shared sump bikes. I currently have Spectro Platinum 4 15W50 going. While it's PDS says cST is 17.something it "feels" much thicker in my Duc. The Ducati Master Tech at my dealership who also builds and rebuilds race engines swears by the stuff, is the main reason I tried it. I was using Silkolene Pro 4 15W50 before.

But anyhow the main purpose of my reply was to say awesome bike and to maybe reconsider against using the automotive Mobil 1 15W50 for so long of a run.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I have a real loathing for some of these "high end" (high priced) wide spread spread oils that don't live up to their rating.

which i have proven in my 70+ uoa's as well.

the bigger the spread (typically) the bigger the fail.

and to the OP...ktm merely has a marketing arrangement with motorex. nothing more nothing less.

I have owned 4 KTMs since model year 2008. I have used motorex once. then I use either castrol or elf/total 10w-50

all engines had less than 5% leakdown.

I had an issue with castrol RS moto oil 10w-50. my clutch slipped under power immediately after an oll change. drained and put in T6 rotella slippage disappeared. this viscosity is only recommended for
now that amsoil make 10w-50 I will start using it

please use the correct viscosity stated in the manual.

Last edited:
Ok so no one had stated any specific reason for the Motorex other than it being a KTM/Motorex marketing agreement, which I suspected from the start.

My first 2 oil changes will use Kawasaki 20w50 conventional after which I'll use yamalube 15w50 synthetic with ester. Got good prices on both. $20/gal on the kawi oil and $10/quart on the yamalube.

BLS Not to start anything, but that safety wire job will never pass muster. Hope it's not critical.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back