stupid question about funnels and adding fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding fluids this morning--break, coolant, power steering, windshield wiper.

I decided for the future to use a funnel. Now both vehicles have said to only use dedicated "genuine Honda/Toyota" fluids for all or some of them. I'm ok with that.

My question is: can I use the same funnel for pouring each fluid into that dedicated reservoir? Or is there a problem with mixing trace elements of one fluid into another? If that would be bad---could I simply wipe the funnel clean with a paper towel, or would that not be good enough?

I have separate funnels for different fluids: coolant, brake, pwr steering, trans, engine oil, etc.

I don't mix them (and never should you).

Q.

I've never added brake fluid or windshield washer fluid with a funnel.

As far as using one funnel for different fluids, just wipe it out with a paper towel and it should be good.

Your over thinking this. Clean the funnel and reuse. I have yet to see any of my UOA's come back with issues and I use the same funnel for several different vehicles and fluids.

If you really want to get technical, use a good quality microfiber clothe to clean the funnel, than way no lint will be left behind.

I've never had to use a funnel for brake fluid, and PS fluid. They come in small bottles with small openings and it's really easy to pour it out.

You could use the same funnel for coolant and washer fluid. Just wipe it down in between.

Don't ever get anything other than virgin brake fluid into the brake system. It is very sensitive to contamination, which will cause brake failure that is expensive to repair.

The other fluids it isn't a big deal if a trace of one gets into something else.

Originally Posted By: mk378
Don't ever get anything other than virgin brake fluid into the brake system. It is very sensitive to contamination, which will cause brake failure that is expensive to repair.

The other fluids it isn't a big deal if a trace of one gets into something else.

OK---I won't need a funnel for the break fluid--just put that in both cars. So for coolant and even ww fluid if I want, I can use the same funnel.

OK thanks. the general consensus is that it is ok for one multi-purpose funnel. I will be sure to wipe it off w/ a paper towel, but I think I'll be ok with that.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
This thread reminds me of the guys who use the same drain pan for both coolant and engine oil. Disgusting.

I did this just last weekend.
smile.gif
... I use 1 funnel for each type of fluid though. Wiped clean between uses of course.

For engine oil, I have a small stubby funnel that I use for various engines and oil types.

For ATF, I have a long skinny funny that fits into the dip stick tube. It has been used for ATF+4, DexIII and tractor HST fluid.

Brakes and antifreeze, I am so good I dont need a funnel.
smile.gif

Segregate brake fluid from "water" (windshield washer, antifreeze) from "oil" (ATF, PS, Gear, motor).

Since my funnels help waste products get put in gallon jugs, I don't even keep that good track of them.

Virgin brake fluid is what I'm most paranoid about.

Your significant other let you dirty her dishwasher ? Just use a paper towel to clean between use.

If you have your car serviced at any garage/dealer they just use unclean funnel, no harm was done.

Years ago with metal oil cans the gas stations had a metal punch/spout. You pushed it on the top of the can, it would cut a hole and had a spout to pour in the oil. When done they would hang it over a garbage can (to drain a few drops) and then use it for the next guy.

Two issues
1) It got some dirt and water in it. Probably all was caught by the filter. but I never liked it.

2) Some sleazy places would push it into an empty can, pour nothing in your engine and charge you $1.50 for a QT of oil.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Funnels are cheap. One can also buy pumps for gallon jugs which come with a nice hose assembly.

But then you will also need separate pumps to avoid the trace fluids in your pumps and hoses
argh the horror!

I just cut a 2 liter bottle or water bottle in half and pitch it when I am done.

Originally Posted By: cat843

2) Some sleazy places would push it into an empty can, pour nothing in your engine and charge you $1.50 for a QT of oil.

The old "short stick" scam. The key to this scam was to "check" the oil but not push the dipstick all the way in. Naturally it would show low. Then they sell the customer a quart of "oil" from the empty can, and "check" again by pushing the stick all the way in this time, so it shows full. Because it always was full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back