Preserving undercarriage/frame in the rust belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot...etal-protector/

Amsoil heavy duty metal protector or something similar is supposed to be "cosmoline like" i havent used it myself but it appears to work for those that use it. YMMV

That is some good stuff!!! I use it on my semi truck's suspension, frame, etc. Does a great job at a very low cost. I buy it by the cases at around $6.50 a spray can for it. Won't attract dirt and hold onto it. Stays in place for several washings. It drys to a waxy like covering after application.

Yes, it IS a very good product, I just cannot stand the way it smells.

This year I used a variety of fluid film, used HM oil and Rusteolum. On the Escape I wire brushed the rust in the wheels in the back and repainted with the Rusteolum. On the front very few spots so just sprayed the seams with Fluid Film... same with inside the doors. The rest was the used oil - frame, underneath the plastic cladding.

The Focus was completely used oil. The rockers are have already rust spots bubbling and underneath isn't rusting but looks like a war zone. The first year of it's life must of been a rental car! Squirted it every opening I could find.. and sprayed a couple lines on other components and let it run down.

On the RV all Fluid Film since I sleep in it. Not much bad weather duty anyways. Going use Fluid Film a bit more next year. Can't afford to replace my cars so got to keep them in check another 5-10 years.

What are you guys who are spraying your rustproofing material with a compressor or HVLP gun doing to protect the body from over spray? Are you masking off the body, or cleaning any of it when you're done? A product like Fluid film is pretty user friendly, some of the other stuff, not so friendly.

Actually, I've noticed the fluid film gets carried by the wind and I end up with a pretty nice coating of overspray on body panels. In reality this won't hurt a thing, although cleaning it off windows would be a major priority. Actually, it picks up dirt/dust a little more but it washes nice and clean with your next regular car wash.

Thanks. I was wondering what you guys do. I plan on spending an extra hour or so masking everything off. I'm not using FF. The stuff I'm using will come off with Mineral Spirits, but I'm a bit OCD and want to avoid having to clean it off. Windows are a major concern.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Actually, it picks up dirt/dust a little more but it washes nice and clean with your next regular car wash.

Which presents the dilemma - what happens if you wash it frequently in the winter to remove salt?? Some guys here wash weekly and go to the car washes with undercarriage sprays.

I spray FF with an electric paint sprayer or rattle cans and I've never had overspray issues. I never needed to clean the windows after applying it.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I spray FF with an electric paint sprayer or rattle cans and I've never had overspray issues. I never needed to clean the windows after applying it.

How about the body, any overspray on the body?

Well, I know why I have so-called over spray issues (but again, its literally as easy to clean up as if the car was just slightly dusty or needed a regular car wash). I spray outdoors in a windy area so the mist gets carried and ends up swirling up on to the vehicle's exterior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back