What's up withKTM's obsession with Motorex oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a KTM 690 SMC. I bought it used and was told by original owner, no almost warned by original owner, to only use Motorex 10w60 in it. It's also stated to use only that oil in that bike in the KTM owners manual.

I just purchased a KTM 1290 Super Duke R and Motorex labeling is on the bike and specified in the owners manual.

Really, if warranted, I'd have no issue spending $20/liter for this oil. The question I have is why should I when there are very good products for less. Mind you the owners manual also suggests use of KTM brake fluid, chain cleaner and lube, coolant, fork oil and even polishing waxes!

Anyone know why Motorex products are so highly encouraged in KTM bikes?

Well there's that which may be the only reason, haha. I'm hoping someone knows if there are good technical reasons, or not.

Friend at work uses Red Line 20w-60 motorcycle oil in his KTM 690, no problems. He said the Motorex 10w-60 burned off to quickly and he was always having to top it off.

Link

I tried motorex 10w-60 in my Harley once. It was the first oil I ever used that I had to add to. Iirc 1000 miles in I was 1/2 quart low.
That would be my only complaint though. Bike ran quiet and smooth.

Redline and royal purple were (both automotive versions) were by far ,y favorite though.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I tried motorex 10w-60 in my Harley once. It was the first oil I ever used that I had to add to. Iirc 1000 miles in I was 1/2 quart low.
That would be my only complaint though. Bike ran quiet and smooth.

Redline and royal purple were (both automotive versions) were by far ,y favorite though.

Two votes for don't use. Both implicate Motorex as having highly undesirable volatility performance. Not a good trend for Motorex . Thanks and thanks for telling me a KTM owner used something different with no negative affects/

I have a '14 Super Duke 1290. Running Motorex 10W50. Seems to be OK, but I only have about 3100 mi on the bike and 2500 on the oil. In the last 500 miles or so the oil got quite dark, but shift quality is still good.

Won't be long before the next oil change. For sure within 500 or 600 miles. I have 4 liters of Motorex 10W50 ready to go, 12 quarts of Mobil 1 15W50, and 5 quarts of Valvoline 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil I bought on sale a while back ($2.99/qt!). I've had great luck over the years with the M1 in several Japanese bikes and an Aprilia Tuono.

What's everyone's vote for the next oil change: Motorex or Mobil 1 or Valvoline?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1

Anyone know why Motorex products are so highly encouraged in KTM bikes?

Name the manual because I checked a USA 2015 KTM Super D manual and found no reference to Motorex...

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Well there's that which may be the only reason, haha. I'm hoping someone knows if there are good technical reasons, or not.

My best learned conjecture is that manufactures list product names to imply a standard to
seek and to use that level or seek the next higher or equivalent product... its about as
technical as when they say only use an approved KTM air filter and owners will seek a higher
equivalent and ante up a K&N or BMC...

Originally Posted By: xr650boy
Motorex or Mobil 1 or Valvoline?

Valvoline, or Mobil 1 20w-50 motorcycle-specific oil.

Amsoil's SAE60 motorcycle oil is about as thick above freezing as a mineral 20w50 if we can believe the TDS. I would certainly give it a try if it was available around here.

Edit: talking about startup visc, not operating temp of course.

Last edited:
http://www.motorexitalia.it/mainwebsite_html/motorex_2010/images/4t/crosspower4t_10w60.pdf

It's the stuff that's got no detail in the parameters that's important.

HTHS >3.5, while the KV100 is a number, 23.4...is the KV IS 23.4, then it's shear stability is horrid, the HTHS should be 6 for a reasonable oil that "needs" a 23.4 KV100.

Pour point says they've used lots of low visc stuff, and they don't give a flashpoint except >200C, which you can get with just about anything.

Rotella T6 "offers" better protection, that being HTHS, and low temperature pumpability, and viscosity.

M1V-Twin would kill it in high temperature protection.

If you want something more exotic, then Amsoil MCV.

Owners manual 2015 1290 Super Duke R US.

The document contains 14 references to Motorex products.

The bike has a Motorex label affixed to the clutch cover.

It was also in the 2007 KTM 690 SMC owners manual.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back