value of a 1975 Motobecane Nomade road bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the original owner of a 1975 Motobecane Nomade road bicycle. It's all original except for the tires with Huret gears and Weinmann brakes. It weighs 29 pounds. In 1975 I bought it new for $175. There's no rust, just 30 years of attic dust. It needs some reconditioning: cleaning, lubing, new seat and new pedals. One side of the handlebars needs to be pulled out and straightened.

Thinking of putting it on Craigslist. How do I value this bike for sale? Ideas?

I had a similar bike - a Motobecane Gran Jubilee, a touring geometry Vitus frame with very nice componetry. I rode it down the west coast in the 1976 BikeCentennial (anybody remember that?) and was very proud of it. When I finally decided to sell it several years ago, I sadly found there was no market for a nearly forty year old bike, so I donated it to a local charity. I was happy that hopefully somebody else could appreciate it as much as I did. Good luck..

He is right on about the 29 pounds. Great bikes are 50% lighter at 20 pounds of less. If it has any collector value ebay is the way to go. A nationwide audience

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I'm the original owner of a 1975 Motobecane Nomade road bicycle. It's all original except for the tires with Huret gears and Weinmann brakes. It weighs 29 pounds. In 1975 I bought it new for $175. There's no rust, just 30 years of attic dust. It needs some reconditioning: cleaning, lubing, new seat and new pedals. One side of the handlebars needs to be pulled out and straightened.

Thinking of putting it on Craigslist. How do I value this bike for sale? Ideas?

Old heavy steel French bikes are not worth much for those in the know...however there are plenty of suckers out there. When I worked as a bicycle mechanic, people brought in bikes like these beaming with pride like they had somehow found the deal of the century at a garage sale. They'd then dump hundreds into it (mostly because of the limited selection of French threaded bottom brackets and headsets).

On the flip side I did have a guy come in once with a full Reynolds 531 Motobecane shod in Super Record components that he'd picked up for $60!!!

Aluminum and straightening are not compatible. Replace the bars for your own safety.

Then, Enjoy your new old bike !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back