Sludge in new oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the conclusion from Valvoline was the following:

"the sample results have made their way back to me.

The waxy build up you see with-in the oil is the detergents and somehow, water or moisture has gotten into the containers. When this occurs, the detergents bond with the water to form this waxy substance. If installed into an engine, the minimal water that was introduced to the oil would burn off and the detergents would blend back into the oil as the should once the engine had reached operating temperature."

No idea how the moisture got into the bottle, but they sent me 12 bottles of full synthetic high mileage with maxlife oil. Pretty good responsiveness from them, so I'll continue using Valvoline oil in the future, maybe not stockpiling it though.

Thanks for posting the conclusion.

It sounds like a honest response from Valvoline, I can respect that. Plus they gave you 12 fresh bottles for your trouble.

I still plan to buy and use valvoline.

Any idea how old the oil was? I'd say kudos to Ashland, they certainly did the right thing by you.

Originally Posted By: Moose016
So the conclusion from Valvoline was the following:

"the sample results have made their way back to me.

The waxy build up you see with-in the oil is the detergents and somehow, water or moisture has gotten into the containers. When this occurs, the detergents bond with the water to form this waxy substance. If installed into an engine, the minimal water that was introduced to the oil would burn off and the detergents would blend back into the oil as the should once the engine had reached operating temperature."

No idea how the moisture got into the bottle, but they sent me 12 bottles of full synthetic high mileage with maxlife oil. Pretty good responsiveness from them, so I'll continue using Valvoline oil in the future, maybe not stockpiling it though.

thumbsup2.gif

Valvoline let moisture into their bottles, plain and simple. Any sealed container isn't going to gain moisture.
They need to evaluate their bottling process to keep water out. Quality control might be an important thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back