ACEA 5? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen this designation before, and I'm having trouble trying to figure out which oil to use on my 2015 Kia Forte5 SX with the 1.6L Turbo engine. The only spec called for by the manual is

"For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine
oil of a viscosity grade 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA
A5 or above)."

But I looked up Mobil 1, which is what I'd usually use in a situation like this, and it said ACEA 1? I admit, I'm exhausted and not all here, but I wanted to get this done today. Any idea which oils I should be looking at? Thanks.

Pretty sure Hyundai just wants you to use oil that meets one of these specs and not all of them at once. Alas, if you really want an oil meeting ACEA A5 spec, then Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 meets it. Castrol Edge 5w-30 as well. Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 as well.

Welcome to BITOG!

That's exactly right QP. The ACEA A5 recommendation is for Euro Hyundai with their long change intervals and not a spec needed for their conservative US OCI. If A5 were required, they'd be using something with that spec as bulk for the 1.6T, 2.0T etc., during dealership oil changes...and they do not. A call to HyundaiUSA "confirmed" this as well.

In the U.S.
The oil used must meet:
*API SM (SL is even mentioned as acceptable in countries where SM isn't available)
*ILSAC GF-4

...and as we are all aware, API SN / ILSAC GF-5 are the current specs and already an upgrade to what's required.

Now, if you want to use a synthetic ACEA spec'd oil, by all means do so, no harm will come of it to your vehicle and many will say it's a must for a turbo. But, even (Conventional oil) ILSAC GF-5 was partly developed for improved Turbo Protection...

Spider-new.02.jm.jpg

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pretty sure Hyundai just wants you to use oil that meets one of these specs and not all of them at once. Alas, if you really want an oil meeting ACEA A5 spec, then Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 meets it. Castrol Edge 5w-30 as well.

Welcome to BITOG!

Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 does not meet A5/B5. No mention of ACEA on recent Synpower bottles.

But the Platinum is a good choice, since it's on sale AND a rebate as well. $5.69 at Napa, plus a $2 rebate per quart.

Well, I guess their tech sheets are out of date.

Not sure that the Platinum bottles list ACEA A5/B5 either, but its tech sheet does.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ilsac GF oils explode hard driven turbos.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL.

Well, to make yourself look less like a troll, it'd be helpful if you posted links to actual documented evidence of Hyundai turbo engines failing AS A RESULT OF using ILSAC GF oils. There are many reasons a hard driven turbo can fail. That's all I'm saying.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ilsac GF oils explode hard driven turbos.

THIS IS NOT A TROLL.

Well, to make yourself look less like a troll, it'd be helpful if you posted links to actual documented evidence of Hyundai turbo engines failing AS A RESULT OF using ILSAC GF oils. There are many reasons a hard driven turbo can fail. That's all I'm saying.
smile.gif

Probably his personal experience from drag racing from stopsign to stopsign with a cold engine.

Anyone that blows up as many engines as ARCO.. well I'd probably do the exact opposite of whatever he is doing.

I will be using this car for delivering in Austin traffic, so I think I'll go with the edge, synpower, or platinum, whichever is cheaper at the time, and stick to the 3k mile oil changes (lots of idling at red lights at customer locations). Any suggestions on filters for this situation? Keep in mind, the actual delivery mileage I end up putting on the car will only be maybe 200 miles a week. I'm disabled and only work part time.

Oh, and thank you so much for the kind welcome!

Last edited:
3,000 miles? Any decent filter will do. I wouldn't go out and spend money on a Fram Ultra etc.

OEM Hyundai
Fram Toughguard
Napa Silver or Gold
Purolator White or POne (unless the tears frighten you)
STP

...and on.

The 3000 miles is very deceiving when most of those miles are delivering food in Austin traffic. Loooooots of idle time.

Not sure that the Platinum bottles list ACEA A5/B5 either, but its tech sheet does.

Yes, the Platinum bottles do list A5/B5 for 5w30, and so does Ultra.

Originally Posted By: bmtphoenix
The 3000 miles is very deceiving when most of those miles are delivering food in Austin traffic. Loooooots of idle time.
Still, at 200 miles/week, that's only about 3.5 months in your case. I wouldn't sweat it.

Hi bmtphoenix,

Sorry if my question mark made it appear as if i questioning your decision on oil. Not at all. I was referring to the fact that if employing a 3k mile oci, any reputable filter will do.
smile.gif

I agree with QP on the math too.

Also on this car, for next oil change -- would Amsoil be a bad idea? The shop I go to stocks it, so it might be worth it for the convenience of not having to bring my own oil.

Originally Posted By: bmtphoenix
Also on this car, for next oil change -- would Amsoil be a bad idea?

Which Amsoil? As long as it's the one that actually carries API SM/SN approval, I don't see a problem.

My valvoline product info sheet list the ILSAC 5W-30 and 10W-30 SynPower as ACEA A5, plus API SN, GF-5 and dexos-1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The North American sheet shows that, too. I'm not sure why they omitted the B part of that specification, since that's not quite the correct way to do things.

I agree Garak, you and I would not have allowed such sloppyness. It should be A5/B5.

Still the oils meets all the OP's requirements, better infact as it uses the more modern standards of SN and GF-5.

OP: "For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine
oil of a viscosity grade 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA
A5 or above)."

Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 = ACEA A5, API SN, ILSAC GF-5 and dexos-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back