BMW n20 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

What oils are approved for n20 engines in NA.

I guess 0w40 to thick for four cylinder

Thank's

what does the manual say? I suspect that BMW specs a BMW LL-01 oil, and not a specific viscosity.

AFAIK all BMW engines still uses the BMW LL-01 in USA and almost everywhere else except for a couple of countries where BMW LL-04 is specced due to better fuel quality.

Any LL-01 oil will perform as expected. Your choice. Most of them are either 0W-40 or 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I'm pretty sure that BMW requires more than LL-01 for the N20 motors. The older ones allowed for LL-01. Currently, the BMW Twinpower Turbo 5w-30 is the only approved oil. I believe you can use other oils for top-off, but the BMW branded one is the only oil you should be using for a complete fill.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-210888-bmw-5w-30-twinpower-turbo-longlife-synthetic-oil.aspx

Interesting comment on that link, that:

"It's the only oil approved in the US for BMW's turbo N20 N54 N55 engines"

The "FE" in the latest rating seems to mean something like Fuel Economy and this new oil is geared towards exactly that. Lower viscosity, lower HTHS for higher fuel economy. I'd just keep using the thicker oils since these engines are also designed for them and gives you better peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back