water pump torque spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
changing the water pump on my '01 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 tomorrow. I cant find the torque spec anywhere online, and the answer from the service guy at the dealer was "just put them tight". I bought a Haynes manual. It says from 72 to 108 inch lbs for my engine, which is only 6-9 foot lbs, doesnt seem like alot it all. So, is the Haynes manual correct or does anyone know the spec? Thanks

Cripes, that seems light by half in my imagination but the book says what the book says.

That mechanic was an idiot and the reason why they have comebacks. Then they claim a " thread problem" and want more money. LoL

"Snug" will do just fine. You'll often see these vague and seemingly too-loose torque specs on valve cover gaskets and the like. But snugging them up in a star pattern, going around a few times as the gasket compresses a little (if applicable) is all you need. Even if you used a torque wrench, 9 ft/lbs is 50% more torque than 6, so it isn't too critical.

If the bolt attaches to the timing cover its 89 inch pounds. If it goes through the timing cover to the engine block its 18 foot pounds. Info came from pro demand.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
changing the water pump on my '01 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 tomorrow. I cant find the torque spec anywhere online, and the answer from the service guy at the dealer was "just put them tight". I bought a Haynes manual. It says from 72 to 108 inch lbs for my engine, which is only 6-9 foot lbs, doesnt seem like alot it all. So, is the Haynes manual correct or does anyone know the spec? Thanks

Just tighten it up, it's not critical like a rod bearing.

76-106 lbin which is close enough to 6-9 lbft or 8-12 nm. Forget the torque wrench just snug with ratchet. If any bolts come out wet or coolant weeps out of the hole then you need to use a sealer on those threads.

also, Ive heard that some of the water pump bolts go through a water jacket and i need to put thread sealer, any truth to this?

The long bolts I seem to remember use thread sealer.

Originally Posted By: punisher
also, Ive heard that some of the water pump bolts go through a water jacket and i need to put thread sealer, any truth to this?

The long bolts I seem to remember use thread sealer.

Many engines have bolt holes taped into the water jacket, easy enough to note if there is thread sealer on the bolts you've removed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back