My collection of small toys part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we are! My latest acquisition RE: Honda generator. This time round, I got myself a prestine condition EM600, circa 1984 (around that era, according to the sales receipt). This unit actually comes with original packaging box, 12V charging cable, owners manual, foam packing material, etc. and of course, also 1/2 a tank of old gas:

It's a type "C" destined for NA use (120V AC 60Hz):

Engine has maybe
This is the behind the cover look on the generator head side (dipstick side):

This is the carburettor side:

Engine condition is 9.8/10.

It will stay in my family collection from now on.

Quest

best of all: it's a 59cc 4cyl iron-sleeved cylinder, so no need to mix 2T with oil (which I hate). Since it's iron-sleeved, it will typically outlast many latest offerings such as the alu-bore EU1000 series, etc.

regrettably, parts are quickly becoming obsolete, as do the carb (carb is already obsolete, good luck finding a brand new one somewhere out there regularly....I do have a hunch that somewhere in Asia (Thailand) there may be a few lying around, for the carb catalogue parts number matches some older small cylinder motorcycles...Keihin carb).

The fuel tank is lined/coated with an elastomeric coating (similar to POR-15) to resist in-tank rusting.

When I open up the generator for overall inspection (taking off side grill covers, etc.) what I saw was quality everywhere....the workmanship back then was simply excellent! This unit is around 40lbs (heavy by today's luggage generator standards) but nevertheless: being a traditional gen head type, it's actually one of the lightest, most-compact (and well executed) unit of all mass-manufactured unit by far.

While I may like to gather other oddballs such as E300, EX350 (2cyl), EX650, etc. fact is, my collection is now pretty much complete (have the EX1000 for running fridges; this EM600 for charging cellphones, providing non high-load electrical needs during extended power outages, etc.).

The more I venture into the older Honda generators, the more frustrating it becomes, citing that (a) most of the seriously old ones (collectables) are in questionable shape; (b) parts are obsolete, and with older units (most of them are in various distressed conditions when the owner let go); it becomes obvious that these units may not be worthy of restoring, afterall.

Things like pistons, ring sets, carb (always obsolete, no parts avail) parts, points (one must be ingenious enough to retro some NOS Honda motorcycle points to make things happen, and so on.

My biggest goal is to have something worthy of collecting, but also functional enough to provide me service when needed, w/o to worry about frequent servicing. That's why I stayed away from anything older than electronic ignition; brush type gen heads, etc.

These 2 genny (EM600, EX1000) will fit the bill nicely.

Q.

I have it's smaller brother, the EM500. Still runs perfectly after all these years. It has plenty of time on it. I think the only problem it's ever had was that the choke failed.

no, at least not yet (Bob Is the Generator Guy...I like that!)

There's a SmokStak forum that I belong to. While new postings are few and far in between, but the quality tends to be quite high, as there's Honda rep, someone from down-under (extremely knowledgeable and technically competent), etc. on board.

Q.

LOL Quest. She's a beauty. We all have our own Bid Red obsessions.

For awhile, I was collecting the venerable HS621

Reds in my stash are a pair of EU2K, Two HS621, Had a 928 (sold it), got my eyes on the new 928 --- but am debating do I want the 1st years model or let them work out the kinks

Last edited:
Nice! My local buy-n-sell has a HS621 avail, but I have refrained myself from acquiring one...no need afterall (taking up too much garage floor space. Genny only takes up a fraction of my shelf spacing).

Besides: we haven't have any serious snow dumps in our 'hood for the past 3+yrs, and the most recent one (about 3 yrs ago), was able to clear with hand tools.

I value high quality stuff; don't mind they are mass-produced (means more spare parts available out there). Stuff that are built with inferiority in mind, and no service parts readily available, I'll pass.

Case to the point: Kei-cars (or mini trucks) have a place in my heart and I'm always eager to get one (or go online and perhaps shop on the local buy/sell craigslist and so on) to check things out. What seriously puts me off is the fact that many basic maintenance parts such as brakes, brake pads/rotors, shoes, HW, etc. have to be custom shopped and imported through ePrey, and cannot be had consistently. I have been put off getting a Subie Samba, or Suzuki Carry 3-cyl truck many, many times over the years so far...

Reason why I drive a fit is because it's small enough to fit me nicely, and parts are readily available over the counter (peace of mind). I know some parts will eventually becomes obsolete but that's not the point. Point is: you must be able to get parts consistently when it's being called for.

having the automobile on jacks/hoist partially disassembled while waiting for parts shipped from Asia is not something I would like to see.

Just my Saturday morning blabbering, need to get some joe...

Later,

Q.

That EM600 is really cool. The small footprint and packaging is amazing. I bet it purrs like a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back