So is it time for me to run HM in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD, 6.0, 150K

Took a 1000 mile weekend road trip with my truck and it used about 1.5-2 qts of oil. This truck started it's like using M1 and only in the last 4 years or so have I switched to PYB. Started using PYB after I stopped towing. I use the OLM for changes, usually 5k or so it seems.

This truck sees light duty now, just used for errands and stuff. short trips are the norm, with an occasional weekend run of about 3-400 miles once a month or so.

So, based on the mileage and the consumption I had with the long trip, is it time for an HM oil for this truck. I plan on keeping it as long as I can, as it run's like a top.

Thanks

Sometimes the hwy miles can show some consumption. I think it's a good idea esp at the FIRST sign of some consumption. I merely topped off with some MaxLife and that solved my issue. Car was a 99 Accord 4cyl that was seeing a lot of hwy miles at the time. I also changed out the pcv valve with an oem version. Which you may want to do.

I would use a high mileage oil and go with 10w30. That has always been my game plan with a oil user is use a heavier oil. That was before the high mileage oils came along though.

You could try either Maxlife or M1 HM.
Either might well reduce consumption.
Both work well in my experience.
Check the PCV valve and hoses first, since this may be the source of your trouble.

Burning off fuel and moisture could make it look like it's consuming more than it is, my owner's manual even states this.

Delo400 will likely do the trick. I always switch up to "fleet" oils at 100K
smile.gif

HDEO's have more detergency, so they help gently clean high mileage motors including the ring pack. MMO helps some too. If you can get the ring lands clean, they often stop burning oil. Also reduces blow-by so there is less vapor being pushed into the PCV system ...

I've had a few motors go close to 300K on Delo400 after switching at around 100K.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Delo400 will likely do the trick. I always switch up to "fleet" oils at 100K
smile.gif

HDEO's have more detergency, so they help gently clean high mileage motors including the ring pack. MMO helps some too. If you can get the ring lands clean, they often stop burning oil. Also reduces blow-by so there is less vapor being pushed into the PCV system ...

I've had a few motors go close to 300K on Delo400 after switching at around 100K.

The only Delo I've ever used was in my diesel Kubota, Are you suggesting a 15/40 ?

Most HM oils say that they can be used at any stage of an engines life so I say go for it. WalMart.com has 5qt jugs of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage for $25. That'd be my choice but I'm always a sucker for new things. Typically HM oils are thicker than their "normal" counter part but PP HM is thinner from what I've read. Never used M1 HM but MaxLife is great.

I would put some MMO in the motor now, drive it til your next oil change, start using any good HM 10w30, and clean/replace the pcv. Good luck

Ummm every oil mfgr that markets HM oil recommends it's useage at 75K mi and you're asking if you should start using it at 150K mi?? Probably should have started at least 35-40K miles ago...

I have a 95% in town only '98 Grand Marquis that at 65K mi was using a qt Of M1 5W-30 in 2500 miles, switched to M1 HM and now at 3500 mi is down approx half quart(used most of that in the first 1500 mi)... Still yet to turn 69K mi but this car will likely never see anything else...

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would put some MMO in the motor now, drive it til your next oil change, start using any good HM 10w30, and clean/replace the pcv. Good luck

MMO?
sleep.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hydrogen3
Originally Posted By: barkingspider

MMO?
sleep.gif

Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back