Running over broken glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pulling into a parking spot today and saw crushed glass from a bottle and moved to another spot. Is driving auto tires over pebbles of glass a risk or mostly like driving on gravel?

You've gotta figure that most new tires have 10/32" tread depth and most BITOGers won't drive on tires that have less than 3/32" tread left. Those little glass shards are either gonna hit the tread, where the rubber is extra thick, or they're gonna basically not even touch the tire if they land in a groove. It's a win/win.

Think of the couple times in your life that you've probably had to pull over on the side of the freeway. You're feeling all that debris on the shoulder like you're the Princess and the Pea. OMGOMGOMG I'm gonna pop a tire and then you're fine.

The rubber industry / tire industry is pretty mature. They do science and stuff.

If you happen to find a good parking spot somewhere break a bottle so when you return you can get your spot back. I wouldn't sweat the small pieces of glass.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
If you happen to find a good parking spot somewhere break a bottle so when you return you can get your spot back.

Preferably when you snag one of those weird blue parking spots right by the door!
grin.gif

Agree with Chris142

Glass in the tread, not an issue.

I swerved around a half standing bottle some years ago, and got a big sidewall slice that made my couple month old tyre a throwaway.

Spearing it head on would probably have meant nothing.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Glass won't get through a steel belt.

Don't bet on that. If straw can be embedded in a tree during a tornado, glass can be forced through a steel belt.

Can't speak for car tires, but I've run over big 40oz beer bottles when riding through parks after dark on my mountain bike. Was running a kevlar reinforced tire (Bontrager "hardcase") at the time and it was unaffected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back