01 F150, 5.4L, strange oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geesh, been having problems with the truck. Had a bad ticking sound and finally found out why, the passenger side exhaust manifolds two rear stud nuts had rusted or sheared off. Seems it's typical for that particular year. While I was snooping around the engine looking for the source of that sound, I looked under the intake manifold and there was a puddle of oil. WTH? I put some shop rags in there and sure enough, it's engine oil. Checked the oil, and it was still full. I changed it out in May and have since towed the boat for a vacation and many other trips to the lake. Oil level was still full as was the antifreeze, so it's not spitting out oil any where in particular. There is no water in the oil when I changed it out back in May, I did it myself and I'm sure I'd have noticed that. Looking on line, there seems to be really no way oil could get there. Is this a head gasket leak? It doesn't overheat, oil pressure is good and I'm not losing any fluids. Open to any suggestions. While underneath the engine, there is no oil coating on the outside of the engine, to include where that head meets the engine block. It's almost like there is some sort of oil line or something on top that is leaking very little or something. Looked online and didn't really see anything that would stand out. I know some engines leak a little oil, but this was a pretty good coating. Now to say that maybe it's been leaking slowly and just accumulated over time, I'd be open to that, but man oh man, this is eating my lunch. About ready to sell the dang thing.

It's a 14 yr old truck with a few minor problems. Fix the manifold if the noise bothers you. Live with the small oil leak unless it turns into the Exxon Valdez. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Good point bigt. I just hate it when my stuff isn't "right." You know what I mean?

Are you certain that someone in the past didn't spill oil on top of the motor? It could have been there quite a while. Quick lube place, or a quart tipped while it was sitting on top of the motor.

It probably is a minor head gasket leak, a common problem back then with the modular engines sad to say. If it's minor I'd leave it. Realistically has the truck cost you a lot of money in other than maintenance? If it's in otherwise good shape I'd hold onto it. Have you seen the price of new trucks
cry.gif
! As I recall this was your father's truck so at least you know how it was maintained before you got it. My 2002 F-150 is sadly rusting away and just costed me $1700 to have the radiator support frame replaced. It's a major job involving welding and front end dis assembly of the truck. This too is a common Ford issue with F-150's and Expeditions
mad.gif
. Otherwise mechanically the truck is great and I hope to get 4 more years out of it then I'm moving to where I will not need a 4X4 anymore
grin.gif

Whimsey

Whim....wow, great memory. Same truck, it was Dad's. I can't replace it right now financially. I've probably dumped about a couple of grand in it since I've had got it in 2003. If it is a minor head gasket leak, got any idea as far as longevity I could milk it for? We use it for vacation trips, just the thought of that gasket blowing during said trips, makes me nervous as #ell. I mean, until I saw the oil last night, I had no idea or precursor that a potential head gasket problem lurks. Had the spark plugs changed two months ago and the mechanic whom I trust and has done great work in the past, said the spark plug wells and COP's and the wiring associated with them where dry and in great shape.
4wheel....that thought occured to me last night. I personally haven't spilled oil in there, but like I mentioned, it was my Dad's truck and he did the Jiffy lube thing, it could be a possibility.
The thing with the possibility of a head gasket leak, wouldn't there be oil on the outside of the block as well?? The outside of that engine is literally squeaky clean.

With a head gasket leak you should see oil staining on the block. A couple of grand in 12 years is nothing compared to paying for a $50,000 truck! Rust is the worse enemy of our trucks. If yours is not rusting away you can always fix mechanical issues. I guess it's time to become Sherlock Holmes and analyze carefully what could have caused the oil puddle
cool.gif
. Can you take a picture of where the puddle is/was and whats above it? If it's oily it's motor oil, or ATF from the tranny fill or PS fill. It doesn't sound like anything to be worried about since you're fluid levels aren't dropping. Enjoy the truck and think of all the money you're not spending on a truck payment
smile.gif
. If not rusted these trucks can go for hundreds of thousand of miles with maintenance. Do you change the ATF on a regular basis? That helps tremendously with the life of the tranny. I find that it pays to spend some money to save a lot of money later on.

Whimsey

It's definently motor oil. There is a gap between the engine and the intake manifold on these modular engines. There are no oil lines or fittings in that area. Just a water return line. The intake manifold does not come into contact with engine oil. Called my trusted mechanic and said to not worry about it. Just drive because changing out those head gaskets on a overhead cam engine is very expensive. He suggested to just keep checking the oil from time to time and clean up what's in there. Wish I had a boroscope. You can only see that gap from the front of the engine and I'm not yanking off the intake manfold for a better look. I'm just anal sometimes. Like my stuff to be "right" all the time...drives the wife nuts. I've had head gaskets go ka-blewy before and have had them leak, but it's usually not just on one side.

It could also be the PCV return line (that runs into the intake manifold) that is allowing oil to drip down from a deteriorated rubber joint where it meets the manifold.

These engines had a TSB for a replacement PCV tube to reduce oil consumption in engines that experienced it.

Should be quick and easy to check that hose.

Lots of good advice in this thread. Check the cheap stuff first - ever spill oil when filling it? Is the PCV hose OK? Once checking those off, a valve cover or head gasket is next.

Yes, expensive to deal with. Price out a new truck - even a used truck, and you'll feel better about it.

Well, turns out the exhaust manifold studs had broken off, explains the noise I was hearing. Had mechanic go through the heads while he was "in there" getting the manifold off. He said nothing looked unusual and that the heads were fine. The oil fill port is next to that valley and he said that he'd bet that at some point, somehow the fill port got missed when adding oil. Truck is not consuming oil or antifreeze and runs fine. Hopefully that was it because changing out the head gaskets isn't going to happen. When it gets that time, I may just take the plunge and get a whole brand new motor and drop it in there. Truck is paid for.....I'll put a 5.4 with a blower in it..LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back