na............... k.................1
mo..............247
p...............650
zn..............677
ca.............1757
ba...............
no water or fuel was present

viscosity 100C.........14.2

This is the first sample I have ever had where viscosity actually increased, in anything.
All of the other numbers are trending nicely compared to the previous two samples, with only silicon still elevated but much lower than previous sample (51).

So much for needing a 40 wt. in an ecoboost, leave QSUD in for the duration and it will become one!

Its my wifes go to work vehicle, roughly 25 mi. each way. There were several 150 mi commutes out of town as my daughter graduated this summer. The few times I drove it I had never noticed any decrease in MPG as it routinely gets 32 on a highway trip and 26-27 to and from work.

There was no fuel dilution in this sample, the first two did indicate fuel.

QSUD is labeled as a synthetic, I bought it when Menards had a sale running, I won't be buying anymore.

You went 10k miles and no oil added? Oil control rings working perfectly I guess.

Did you put in a moly additive? Noticing there is a lot.

1.6L or 2.0L ecoboost there? Turbos do tend to heat up and oxidize oil.

2.0 no additives added

Ford does use water cooled turbos in all of their ecoboosts, the previous two samples showed no signs of oil thickening and the cars use hasn't changed since new.

moly too high. I came to this forum to read user oil analyses and no oil I saw uses as much moly. Wonder if lab is off. Makes me suspect the viscosity number is a lab problem too. I can't tell of course.

That 2.0L ecoBeast must be a rocket 0-60 mph. Although I can't believe that thing weighs 3800 lbs curb. I rented one, a '12 with the 1.6L boosted 4 cylinder and had fun.
Most people I read about use Blackstone Labs and get TBN too which seems nice to have for IOLM second guessing here.

Last edited:
I have in the past sent a sample to two different labs but i guess it would have been better if i sent it to three...lol
It depends how my ocd is at the time..

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
moly too high. I came to this forum to read user oil analyses and no oil I saw uses as much moly. Wonder if lab is off. Makes me suspect the viscosity number is a lab problem too. I can't tell of course.

+1 QSUD should be under 100ppm. Did the OP run a high moly opiol reviously. There can be SOME AW/EP carryover through 1 oci. Unless you were running redline, I would think the lab mixed up your sample. Try a real synthetic like Motul Xmax in a turbo.

When I bought my Taurus (as a former rental), I immediately put in QSUD 5W20 and at 3K miles, I used my pump to pull a sample just to get a general health check; the viscosity was 8.1 cSt.

I sampled again when I drained at 6,700 miles and the viscosity had increased to 8.8 cSt. No hard work or extraordinary conditions but it sure thickened.

I'm not a QSUD fan, but I love the ol' green bottle. The conventional remains very quiet for much longer in my car.

As far as the moly content, there have been some QSUD uoa's with 250-ish ppm already posted. The PQIA has a QSUD sample with around 250 as well.

Well if my results are correct for my 2.0 and the oil did thicken it doesn't appear to have caused any excessive wear, the last of what I had went into the sump for this OC. I will run this out until the IOLM dictates it needs changed and sample, as I already noted I won't be buying anymore of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back