Air conditioning compressor quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might need to replace a AC compressor, and I've heard too many horror stories about Four Seasons/Cardone remans, but there are also Chinese-made Denso clones - Valeo makes one that's sold on Amazon, Delphi also makes a replacement compressor and Denso sells new ones.

The Denso unit online is priced within reason of the Four Seasons one that O'Reilly has locally. But if the owner of the car wants to take the cheaper way out, are the Chinese Denso clones or the reman compressors any good?

Not sure what the application is but if you have the scratch I would go with the OEM. Otherwise Delphi is a good name in AC parts.

I didn't even know there were Chinese clones of Denso compressors, the prices I have paid for a new (Japanese) Denso on Amazon have been more than reasonable. The one for my BMW was only $125, the most recent one I got for my Sienna was less than $200. The only experience I have ever had with a reman one was years ago for a Mazda and that one lasted less than 6 months before leaking.

If it were me I'd look online for the cheapest place to get a new Denso compressor. Otherwise you risk doing the job twice (refrigerant included) - which I try and avoid.

Note though that in many cases Denso has started requiring you purchase a receiver/dryer (or accumulator) and a new expansion valve to validate the compressor warranty. If you don't care about the warranty then that's not an issue.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What model? Is there a US-made Sanden available?

Kinda depends on the application- they have OEM layouts and generic "ear" mount versions of several models. I don't know if they still do, but Sanden used to make field replacements for some Denso compressors (the infamous C-171 being an example). But I don't think Denso makes anything quite as bad as the C-171 anymore... :p Lots of automakers use Sanden as OEM.

From Sanden.com:
Since the opening of our first facility in Texas, in 1974, Sanden International (U.S.A.) has grown to include additional operations in Detroit, Mexico , and Wylie, Texas. With this significant investment, and more to come, Sanden is positioned for long-term service to our customers throughout North and South America. Sanden's compressor manufacturing operations take place at our headquarters in Wylie, Texas (just northeast of Dallas). Clutch components are manufactured at our Sanden Mexican a plant in Saltillo , Mexico. Sanden also has other manufacturing plants around the globe with additional capabilities.

So its not clear if ALL their compressors are US-made or not. I know the one I bought for my '66 retrofit a few years ago was tagged as US-made.

I used cheap Delco compressors off of Ebay to fix the AC on my two 92 Cavaliers and they still work great. One was fixed in 2006 and the other in about 2008.

I also used Seltec-Valeo clones for both of my 98 chevy trucks and they both still work great and are a better design then the original compressors. Sanden is also a good compressor.

Wayne

nthach, how did the prices at Rock Auto.com look?

What type of vehicle is the compressor for?

I prefer OEM brand if available and in budget. I know sometimes OEM is just re-branded generic, but usually the fit and warranty is better.

From the little research I did online about the subject, it seemed 50/50 either favoring or discouraging re-built/re-man compressors. Most were against Four Seasons and GDP (Global) Many mentioned the re-man had seal issues or something about the tolerances were not as good, causing leaks down the road.

I just had A/C work done on my 2000 Silverado. Picked it up yesterday. A co-worker of mine does legitimate automotive A/C work as a side business.

I bought a new compressor (AC Delco branded Denso), accumulator/dryer, orifice tube and condenser for about $325 with s&h. I only had to pay him for labor.

I paid a few dollars more and bought AC Delco parts that were all new and not re-man (the condenser was Denso brand and also new). I picked them up from Rock Auto. I could have saved a few dollars an bought from Amazon, but I have made that mistake before when receiving what I thought were re-packaged or fake parts.

The same AC Delco compressor (denso) with same part number was $524 from the dealer.

I learned that many Compressors have warranties that stipulate the accumulator/dryer, orifice tube and sometimes also the condenser must all be switched out at the same time as the compressor for the warranty to be honored.

Good Luck

The car in question is a 1995 Toyota Camry. My friend is willing to pay for the Denso unit which is $200 from Amazon.

These 2 I find interesting -
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-10000377-A-C-Compressor/dp/B007W1FQ4U/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442136274&vehicle=1995-76-1011-269--1-8-5-4853-1801-1-1-1904--5-0&sr=1-13&ymm=1995%3Atoyota%3Acamry

http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-CS20113-10S17-Conditioning-Compressor/dp/B006CF4XQO/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442136274&vehicle=1995-76-1011-269--1-8-5-4853-1801-1-1-1904--5-0&sr=1-16&ymm=1995%3Atoyota%3Acamry

According to Valeo, Seltec is one of their brands and they have a factory in China. I know Subaru uses Valeo compressors made in a former Zexel/Diesel Kiki plant in Japan. Maybe the Chinese Valeo could also work but $20 isn't a deal breaker.

The other question that comes to mind is why the original compressor failed. If it was catastrophic internal failure, then of course you know everything has to be taken apart, flushed, and a new expansion valve, orifice tube, receiver/dryer has to be installed or the choice of new compressor is moot. If it was leaking then how long has it been low on pressure? Many times an old system brought back up to design pressures will illustrate anything else old and weak in the system with a new leak or failure. If it was just the clutch and everything else is OK, then I can't see putting anything on there but a new compressor (or just the clutch if that is cheaper).

Originally Posted By: nthach
The car in question is a 1995 Toyota Camry. My friend is willing to pay for the Denso unit which is $200 from Amazon.

These 2 I find interesting -
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-10000377-A-C-Compressor/dp/B007W1FQ4U/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442136274&vehicle=1995-76-1011-269--1-8-5-4853-1801-1-1-1904--5-0&sr=1-13&ymm=1995%3Atoyota%3Acamry

http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-CS20113-10S17-Conditioning-Compressor/dp/B006CF4XQO/ref=sr_1_16?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442136274&vehicle=1995-76-1011-269--1-8-5-4853-1801-1-1-1904--5-0&sr=1-16&ymm=1995%3Atoyota%3Acamry

According to Valeo, Seltec is one of their brands and they have a factory in China. I know Subaru uses Valeo compressors made in a former Zexel/Diesel Kiki plant in Japan. Maybe the Chinese Valeo could also work but $20 isn't a deal breaker.

The Delphi one is more than a new Denso, the OEM for that car, right? Why mess around with anything else?

As others mention if given a choice go with OEM. But as I just learned I'd say most compressor failures are due to improper installation. The previous AC compressor that I had a shop put in 2 years ago apparently they failed to put oil in it! Alot of metal in it.. Not to mention all the bent connections since they were to lazy to remove the inner fender well etc. Had a guy I work with fix it this time. New Motorcraft compressor this.. and properly oiled. Can tell a big difference.

Why it went out the first-first time was due to not being used.. although this isn't always the case. I'd say a o-ring starts leaking and can let in containments and that's all she wrote.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The other question that comes to mind is why the original compressor failed. If it was catastrophic internal failure, then of course you know everything has to be taken apart, flushed, and a new expansion valve, orifice tube, receiver/dryer has to be installed or the choice of new compressor is moot. If it was leaking then how long has it been low on pressure? Many times an old system brought back up to design pressures will illustrate anything else old and weak in the system with a new leak or failure. If it was just the clutch and everything else is OK, then I can't see putting anything on there but a new compressor (or just the clutch if that is cheaper).

Denso doesn't sell the clutch individually, the clutch is bad as the pulley is loose and I can see the clutch hub rotate with the AC off.

Denso doesn't sell the clutch individually, the clutch is bad as the pulley is loose and I can see the clutch hub rotate with the AC off.

OK, so a new Denso compressor and clutch on Amazon is cheaper than the Delphi one you listed, I'd go for that. Likely made in Japan as were both of the ones I bought.

Toyota sells the clutch by itself but it was more money than the whole compressor and clutch from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Toyota sells the clutch by itself but it was more money than the whole compressor and clutch from Amazon.

$240 for the whole clutch assembly. I'll have the system recovered. I'll crack it open and run a q-tip into the suction/discharge hoses to see if there's black death and I'll try to drain some o the compressor oil to see if there's any metallic glimmer.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Always go OEM on A/C compressors. That's a no brainer right there. Go see what RockAuto has.

In what universe does "Rock Auto" assure that you get "OEM?" There are lots of Denso clones out there. Most are china-made junk. Some of them, at least in the past (Sanden's SD709CC substitute for the Denso C-171 being a prime example) have been far, far better than the Denso originals. The best answer may depend on the specific application.

Do NOT get a rebuilt compressor, new only! I would not be picky about the brand, but I also live in Maryland. If you live someplace hotter, that might matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back