GM new crate engine versus Jasper/ remanufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Jasper engine in one of my cars. It was installed in 2007 and has around 150K miles on it. Having said that, I would not pay more for a Jasper than i would for an OEM engine, unless i had a good reason to (like the OEM one has a defect that the Jasper one doesn't).

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
With a widely known and highly respected third generation machinist in our family we see it a bit differently.

I have seen the amazingly loose junk that escapes the manufacturers, and I'll take a professionally built engine any day over a factory crate motor....

Have you been to a Jasper facility? I haven't. I would guess the large Jasper reman facilities aren't the same as having a single, "highly respected" and experienced machine shop guy rebuild an engine from beginning to end.

I'd also choose the factory crate engine. Jasper engines may be fine, but there's no way I'd pay more for one than a factory crate engine.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
With a widely known and highly respected third generation machinist in our family we see it a bit differently.

I have seen the amazingly loose junk that escapes the manufacturers, and I'll take a professionally built engine any day over a factory crate motor....

Of course. But is a "professional" putting a complete engine together out the door for $2k? No way... they'd be loosing money.

Last edited:
GM Crate!!!! They are around $2000, If the engine is installed by a professional, You get a 100K/3-year warranty & GM pays labor to R&R the engine if it goes bad.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Yea,GM improved the engine since 1955...changing the valve cover bolt pattern in 57 and they made an oil filter standard in the late 60s! Its amazing that you could have got a mid 60s base v8 with no oil filter! Everybody else was standard from the start.Actually the biggest changes was in 1987 when they went TBI,with different valve cover bolts,one piece rear main seal..... further changes mainly involved cylinder heads (Vortec) and going to different EFI systems.

Only the '55 265 didn't have a full flow oil filter, Starting in '56 ALL small blocks had oil filters. You hate GM so much, You have to make stuff up now?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Maybe a short block for 2k but not a complete factory engine

Yes, Long Blocks for $2000
L31 long block

I bought a few L31's for $1600 from Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet when they ordered too many.

Last edited:
Yea,GM improved the engine since 1955...changing the valve cover bolt pattern in 57 and they made an oil filter standard in the late 60s! Its amazing that you could have got a mid 60s base v8 with no oil filter! Everybody else was standard from the start.Actually the biggest changes was in 1987 when they went TBI,with different valve cover bolts,one piece rear main seal..... further changes mainly involved cylinder heads (Vortec) and going to different EFI systems.

Different bottom end (main bearing sizes) for 1968, one-piece rear main seal in the mid 80's, roller cams and center-bolt valve covers about the same time.

Without question, I'd get the crate engine. Our experience with rebuilt engines has been poor. The components they use are as cheap as possible. Cheap pistons, cheap iron rings, cheap bearings. It's anybody's guess how many times the "donor" engine was overheated, or how long the heads will last before they crack.

The crate engines have the bugs worked out. The performance you get from a factory crate engine is a "known".

Last edited:
I was on the road for my earlier post, have more time now.

I had a Jasper engine installed about 20 years ago. It ran fine most of the time and never died, but would cough and have a miss once and awhile and very occasionally would run rough. It wasn't the electronics since those were not changed, so it had to be the engine internals. That was when I decided to go factory from then on. Ford 5.0 HO if the engine makes a difference.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Different bottom end (main bearing sizes) for 1968, one-piece rear main seal in the mid 80's, roller cams and center-bolt valve covers about the same time.

Somewhere in the 90's they also increased the diameter of the oil pump pickup tube from 5/8" to 3/4".

Thanks for the feedback. Van went for second opinion at different shop that is willing to do the work of replacing the engine, should that be the best course of action. My original mechanic said the van was drinking coolant and should have engine replaced but didn't have time to do a 19 hour replacemenr job. Second shop had it for 10 days and said not only is compression low on cylinder 5, but there is also a mechanical issue...knocking sound....cam is bad, and by the time you take off the front of the engine and take the heads off, you are within a few hundred dollars in labor of an engine job anyway and might as well just get a replacement engine.

My gut is telling me to get the 12530282 GM Goodwrench new crate engine for my half ton conversion van. For $2000 and less core charge than what the reman people want ($450 core for some and sketchy core policies), it is cheapest off the line. However, it appears that the three year, 100,000 mile warranty for the GM Goodwrench crate engine will be parts warranty only, no labor. That is what scares me. However, the reman companies like Jasper, Gearhead/ATK, S & J, West Coast/Motor Works, etc. all talk the talk, with their warranties that include labor (can buy a No Fault warranty that covers shop labor up to $90, which is more in line with the $85/hour shop labor here in California, through ATK for $200 and Jasper has something like that, too) but I read reviews that they never honor the warranties.

A good engine shop is your best bet and not all engine shops use junk parts. We only use proven parts because we have to guarantee them and don't want a bad reputation. If you can get a brand new GM crate engine shipped to your door for $2000.00 and it is a quality engine that sounds cheap.. Be careful check the warranty carefully and make sure your money is safe.. Use a C.C. that will back the purchase. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck.

I put near zero faith in the warranties of aftermarket engine companies. Our company trucks experienced plenty of aftermarket engine failures. Not once was a warranty honored.

Oh, the oil level was too low.
Oh, the oil type was incorrect.
Oh, you did not change the oil according to our requirements.
Oh, you abused the engine
Oh, the engine was installed incorrectly

(none of which were true by the way)

Originally Posted By: Kinderteckel
Thanks for the feedback. Van went for second opinion at different shop that is willing to do the work of replacing the engine, should that be the best course of action. My original mechanic said the van was drinking coolant and should have engine replaced but didn't have time to do a 19 hour replacemenr job. Second shop had it for 10 days and said not only is compression low on cylinder 5, but there is also a mechanical issue...knocking sound....cam is bad, and by the time you take off the front of the engine and take the heads off, you are within a few hundred dollars in labor of an engine job anyway and might as well just get a replacement engine.

My gut is telling me to get the 12530282 GM Goodwrench new crate engine for my half ton conversion van. For $2000 and less core charge than what the reman people want ($450 core for some and sketchy core policies), it is cheapest off the line. However, it appears that the three year, 100,000 mile warranty for the GM Goodwrench crate engine will be parts warranty only, no labor. That is what scares me. However, the reman companies like Jasper, Gearhead/ATK, S & J, West Coast/Motor Works, etc. all talk the talk, with their warranties that include labor (can buy a No Fault warranty that covers shop labor up to $90, which is more in line with the $85/hour shop labor here in California, through ATK for $200 and Jasper has something like that, too) but I read reviews that they never honor the warranties.

Speaking from personal experience, I'd stay as far away from ATK as possible. Used them several times and had problems most every time.

About Jasper not honoring their warranty- If it actually did happen that they backed out, I'd be surprised, or if they did, maybe it had to do with that area's rep? Our rep is really good and has told us of cases where they had issues with a product and it was honored right away. I realize it could all be a line of dog doo, but I don't think so- he is a real genuine good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back