Kohler CH680 Oil and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ya'll! I'm new here and my name is Matt.
I have a 2012 or 2013 Lincoln Ranger 305g welder with a Kohler Ch680. I'm 99% sure it's part of the CH23 family. I don't know a ton about smaller engines. My question is what would be the best oil to run in it? I ran Kohler oil through break-in period of 50 hours per the manual. I would like to switch to a Synthetic. Heard a lot of good things about Rotella T6 5W-40 which I have tons of and I run in my truck. Currently running AmsOil 4 stroke 10W-30. Also is there a larger capacity oil filter that I could run? As of now running the 12 050 01-S. Have heard the 5205002-S is the same but larger capacity. Is this true? Any and all responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks! Matt
Also I am in Mid Michigan.

Last edited:
Yes run the T-6 oil. And if you have a lot of it that is even better. It would be great to run because it is air cooled and hard working and air cooled engines run hotter so run it. Yes the 5205002-S is the larger version and is yellow in color. If you want to use something cheaper you could get ACDelco's PF53 oil filter which interchanges with the 5205002-S filter. They run 5.99 at Oreilly's.

Oil Filter- Fram 3614 is longer, about 3 and a half inches.
If you have room, a Fram 3600 (or equivalent) would be my choice.
It's nearly 5 inches long...

Oil-Any full synthetic 5W-30 will work.
For really cold weather use, a 0W-30 may be considered.
For warm/hot weather use, a 10W-30...

My two oil choices would be either T5 10W-30,
or NAPA 5W-30 (on sale for $3.79...)

Thanks for the fast response. I have no problem paying for the Kohler filter, just figured the more capacity the better. I was having a tough time finding something else that was the same just bigger.

Also if it matters the oil recommendation from the Kohler manual is a SJ class or higher. If I remember correctly rotella is SN? . . . I don't really want to void any warranty unless it's that much better for motor.

Originally Posted By: pheasanthunter66
Also if it matters the oil recommendation from the Kohler manual is a SJ class or higher. If I remember correctly rotella is SN? . . . I don't really want to void any warranty unless it's that much better for motor.

SN is higher than SJ. It meet the specification for your engine. SJ was obsolete in 2001.

Rotella is IDEAL for your engine. You would be hard pressed to find a better oil for that application.

Originally Posted By: pheasanthunter66
Is there a better air filter to run?

No they are pretty specific to the engine. The Kohler filters are good.

For filters: factory is a fl-910s or fram ph3614
Next is fl-400s or a ph3600
And then the fl1a or ph8a

Oil is really your choice. I like Xw-30 because Kohler uses hyd lifters and its what Kohler prefers. I prefer hdeo 10w-30 or a syn 0or5w-30.
I have customers that use hd30, nd30, 15w-40, 10w40, and 20w-50. All seems well.
The one on a diet of nd30 has @least 10,000hrs on many command pros powered zt mowers. And runs super stupid long oci's, like a short one is 200+hrs. They all have services.

-harvey

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna run the bigger filter! Doing so won't void any warranty correct? The 5205002-S won't leak and will seal properly too? I think I'm gonna keep the 10W-30. It's not using it and it runs good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back