Oil Weight for Kohler 7000 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I have a question in which I can't seem to find the answer. I have a new riding mower that has the KT735 Kohler 7000 Series engine. When Kohler creates the engine oil recommendation chart does it put the most preferred oil on top, so in this case 10W-30 then 30 and then 5W-30. Understanding each one is for different temp zones. Or is there no specific order to the listing? I only use my mower to mow so it's always above 50 so I'm thinking straight 30 but didn't know if the 10W-30 was the preferred one because it was on top and also covers the temp zones in which I'll be operating. The link to the service guide is below. Thank you in advance!

http://kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/32_590_11_EN.pdf

I know you have a Kohler and not a Briggs, but Briggs offers some more information in their oil recommendations:

Small Engine Oil Type Recommendations:

-Use SAE 30 in warmer temperatures of 40° F and higher (5° C and higher)
-Use SAE 10W-30 for a varying temperature range of 0 to 100° F (-18 to 38° C), this grade of oil improves cold weather starting, but may increase oil consumption at 80° F(27° C) or higher
-A synthetic oil SAE 5W-30 is the best for very cold temperatures of -20 to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption
-Use SAE 5W-30 for very cold temperatures of 40° F and below (5° C and below)

Things to keep in mind when choosing lawn mower oil:

-Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher.
-Do not use special additives.
-Synthetic oils are an acceptable oil at all temperatures. Use of synthetic oil does not alter required oil change intervals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, after looking at the Kohler recommendations and Briggs recommendations (similar style engines), I'd personally run Shell Rotella T5 synthetic blend 10W30 heavy duty engine oil or the synthetic 10W30 oil of your choice (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, etc)

shell-rotella-t5-10w-30-synthetic-blend-motor-oil-1-gal_313266.jpg

Off topic how do you enjoy the new engine how may hours and anyone know if it has plastic cam.I am in market for new mower and many models spec this engine. If me I would run Amsoil ope oil 30/10w30 yearly changes or 100hr.

I have the exact same engine in my Ariens mower and the exact same question as you. After reading the replies from my post here on BITOG, I've decided to go with my stash of Maxlife full synthetic 5w30.

That oil temp chart in the manual, I believe, is conventional oil, as one of the posters explained and NateDN10's link to the Briggs & Statton engine shows that using synthetic 5w30 is best for all temperatures.

Dave123, the engine runs great. Bought the mower last spring and so far, no issues at all. Had to recharge the battery a couple times this year, but engine is strong, and not as loud since I've put synthetic in it. Don't know about plastic cams, but I made sure I didn't get their Commander engine because that engine used a plastic part (don't know if it's a cam or not. saw it on youtube). I asked the dealer about it and they said the 7000 series doesn't use plastic parts, so I took their word for it.
21.gif

Last edited:
bubbatime - Thank you so much for the suggestion, I think I'm going to seriously consider that T5

Dave123 - I like it, this is the first oil change (5 hours) so I admit I haven't had it for long but so far even when I've let the lawn get too long it doesn't struggle at all. Starts right up every time and runs smooth. My understanding as well after doing the research is no plastic parts.

Eosyn - Is your engine consuming any oil using the 5w-30? Did you wait until after 50 hours like Kohler recommends before going to synthetic or did you switch to it right away?

Originally Posted By: Oli20

Eosyn - Is your engine consuming any oil using the 5w-30? Did you wait until after 50 hours like Kohler recommends before going to synthetic or did you switch to it right away?

1. I just mowed once (a 2.5-hr job) since I've switched to synthetic 5w30. So far, no oil consumption. Haven't had to add any oil.

2. I changed the oil at 25 hrs of use. 1 and 1/2 seasons of mowing and the original oil was quite dark. After 1 mow, the synthetic is still clean, can barely see it on the yellow dipstick. I will most likely change it again after another 25 hrs of use or when the oil gets "dark."

I also replaced the oil filter, using STP S3512 because it was the only one I could get, in a pinch, at O'Reillys. It's just a tad-bit shorter than the filter that came with the engine, a Kohler 12 050 01. After researching online, I finally found a Wix equivalent that I will use for the life of the mower, Wix 51348. Hope this helps.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Also, after I go through my Maxlife stash, I will switch to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10w30. Reasoning is, of the full synthetics, it has one of the lowest volatility @ 250 degrees C (482 degrees F) for an hour @ 8.8% according to PQIA and the price is right.

Interesting to note Kohler recommends pre fill of oil filter prior to installation per owners mannual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back