Honda Dot 3 vs. Honda Heavy Duty Dot 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any difference between these? I recently went to the Honda dealership to pick up some brake fluid and all they had was Genuine Honda Brake Fluid DOT 3. Apparently a Heavy Duty version exists as well, which my 2012 Civic manual calls for. Im sure there is likely little difference between the two, but does anyone know why they are labeled differently? The Heavy Duty version is much more difficult to find and the parts guy at the dealership said they only ever have the standard Honda DOT 3 in the service department.

Very interesting - did not realize that there were two different versions. I've always used the regular version.

I remember some claims that "heavy duty" brake fluid would typically have a higher dry boiling temp. However, some claims are that it will maintain performance over a longer service lifetime. At least that's what Pennzoil says.

My S2000 owner manual did say to use Genuine Honda Heavy Duty DOT-3 Brake Fluid, but I think it is the same as standard DOT-3 Brake Fluid you buy at dealer.

I actually use Preston DOT-3 Brake Fluid, all DOT-3 Brake Fluids are very close in performance to each other.

I have read that Hondas are picky on fluids (ATF, PS), but Honda brake fluid?

Walmart sells Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 for ~$7 a quart. Would that fluid work?

Honda is only picky about the PS

You can use any DOT 3 or 4 with confidence. Valvoline DOT 3/4 will work great.

The manuals for my Hondas also say to use Honda Heavy Duty DOT 3. I don't think I've ever seen the stuff at a dealer parts counter before.

Besides the factory fill, my Accord's only seen generic DOT 3 brake fluid. At almost 200K miles, the braking system, including hoses, calipers and master cylinder are original. All brake fluid is synthetic (don't fall for the marketing and fancy labeling); what's important is changing it out every 3 yrs, as Honda recommends. As a matter of fact, 3 yrs is what I go by for all my cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman

Walmart sells Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 for ~$7 a quart. Would that fluid work?

All glycol based brake fluids are "synthetic". I do remember when Valvoline had brake fluid in its "SynPower" line of fluids.

Now a DOT 5.1 brake fluid is another matter. I've bought and had someone work on it for me. I've bought Motorex, Motul, and Wagner.

51TJfhwOViL._SY355_.jpg

61tuCDpE6rL._SY355_.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Honda is only picky about the PS

You can use any DOT 3 or 4 with confidence. Valvoline DOT 3/4 will work great.

I use the Valvoline in a lot of track cars. Boiling point very close to that of ATE Type 200. It's cheaper, and available nearly everywhere.

DOT 5.1 is glycol as well and is at least theoretically compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. The DOT 5 stuff is the silicone-based stuff that is certainly not compatible. In any event, I don't see a lot of DOT 5.1 stuff on the shelves, and not at good prices, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: stchman

My Walmart doesn't have Valvoline brake fluid. Preston is about that price, I would use Valvoline if they have it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
DOT 5.1 is glycol as well and is at least theoretically compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. The DOT 5 stuff is the silicone-based stuff that is certainly not compatible. In any event, I don't see a lot of DOT 5.1 stuff on the shelves, and not at good prices, either.
wink.gif

The European or Japanese DOT 5.1 fluids are kind of exotic and generally sold at specialty retailers like speed shops or motorcycle shops. I actually bought my first ones at a motorcycle parts dealer online. The one question was "What the heck do you need this much for?" I told them it was for a car. They also had Motul Gear 300 cheaper than any other place I could find.

The Wagner SevereDuty DOT 5.1 fluid I bought was special ordered at a regular retailer. However, they had it as a part number that could be ordered.

Yep, I can find 3 or 4 kinds of one DOT 3 from one manufacturer alone, advertising things like synthetic (really?), ABS, Ford, and so forth, depending upon the label. Of course, none of that really helps the customer when the specification is interchangeable and the price is almost identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back