Strangest license plates you've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living near Detroit, we see strange vehicles all the time: camouflaged cars, prototypes, foreign-market test vehicles, etc. It's pretty cool. Living near several international border crossings with Canada, I see cars from Ontario daily, and also frequently from other Canadian provinces. However, I've seen several cars in the past few years from some far away places.

I have seen an SUV with Mexican government plates, as well as a 'pedestrian', i.e. regularly registered Mexican vehicle. This is semi-understandable, since Detroit has a large Mexican population. But more recently, I have seen a pickup truck from Guatemala, and today, I saw a Nissan Navara (not sold in the US) from French Guiana! I've noticed that these vehicles from out of the US, excepting Canada, always drive way too slow or way too fast. Maybe they aren't used to MPH? Canadians seem to handle it just fine
08.gif
I also noticed that both trucks from Guatemala and French Guiana had nubby tires and seemed to sit higher up. What have you seen around you?

On a white VW Rabbit convertible there is a license plate that reads "ML8 ML8".

I figured it out just as the VW drove out of sight.

My gf's sister texted us a pic of a plate on a car that she saw. It was a piece of cardboard (cut from a cardboard box) with the plate numbers hand written with a ball point pen taped onto the spot where a proper plate was supposed to go,homegrown all the way,haha!! It was on a getto'd out Caprice Classic!!

On my Silverado I have "CYLVRDO" on an Iowa State Cyclone Plate. I have also changed the lettering on the side of my truck to read CYlverado.

I used to have "BRDCYVU" (birds eye View) on my Saturn Vue...also a Cyclone plate.

Two guys hereabouts bought a used hearse to carry surfboards,and got the vanity plate "STIFF" . The registry got complaints and yanked it. One of them went on to be a state senator.

Last edited:
Saw a C class Mercedes with a vanity plate that read : FYSTY - I read it as FISTY, when I'm pretty sure they were meaning to say FEISTY
21.gif

A few years back a lady had a plate that was "MILF"

A Milwaukee news channel even had a story on her. The state did make her change it, but apparently she had it for a few years.

fella that comes in to the store regularly, has a BMW z3(might not be a 3, but one of the z roadsters)
his plate reads "1N VEGAS". Wanna guess how he got the car?

back in the early Naughties(early 2000's) there was a girl driving around the Ohio university campus in Athens, with a Blue New Beetle, with a plate reading "DADPAID"

I saw a Mexican market '99-'01 Ramcharger parked on a street in Birmingham's Southside about two years ago. It had Mexican plates on it, but I don't remember which state. I had to do a double take when I saw it...I had seen pictures of them online before, but that was the first and only one I have seen in person. It was definitely the real deal though...it was not a modified Ram pickup.

Not the one I saw, just an example...
Lm16-1.jpg

I have also seen a 1990s or early 2000s VW Caddy pickup with Mexican plates here...
VW_Caddy_9U_Pick-up_1996-2000_frontright_2008-03-23_U.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back