Is lighter fluid anything more than naptha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I collect Zippo lighters. I'm allways running out of the little bottles of lighter fluid...and then I forget to get more for several weeks.
smile.gif
I can get naptha for free, and allways have alot of it in the garage. Is lighter fluid anything more than naptha? I know that's the main ingredient...

yeah....I don't thin naphta is used as lighter fluid. Naphta evaporates too quickly and as mentioned above, it is very volatile. If I had to guess, it's probably a mix of kerosene and something else. We used to re-fill with gasoline and/or kerosene back in Cuba
shocked.gif
...we had nothing else.

Try going to the Zippo or Ronco web site and looking for the Material Safety Data Sheet MSDS.

While in the Navy I used JP-5 in my Zippo. Caution smokes black, carbons up the wick badly and adds that ode of engine room or flight deck smell to your tobacco.

[ February 24, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Neil Womack ]

Butane is a gas at atmospheric pressure, the pressurized lighters use butane, not zippos, they use liquid fuel.

[ February 24, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
yeah....I don't thin naphta is used as lighter fluid. Naphta evaporates too quickly and as mentioned above, it is very volatile. If I had to guess, it's probably a mix of kerosene and something else. We used to re-fill with gasoline and/or kerosene back in Cuba
shocked.gif
...we had nothing else.

As I said before, if naptha isn't the only ingredient, it is the MAIN ingredient.
 -

This is a bottle of walgreen's brand lighter fluid. Naptha isn't very explosive, I use it to light brush fires all the time.

[ February 24, 2004, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: ZmOz ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Naptha isn't very explosive, I use it to light brush fires all the time.

Everyone needs a hobby.
tongue.gif

Yeah, I'll admit I like fire.
smile.gif
**** , I carry a zippo with me all the time and I don't smoke!
tongue.gif

Alright, I filled an old lighter up with Naptha, burns great, except it won't light from the flint.
frown.gif
Anybody know of something I could mix with the naptha to make it light a little easier? I've found a couple MSDS's for lighter fluid, none list the ingredients.

Try a little acetone. Very flamable. You might be better off buying it as fingernail polish remover than a gallon from the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back