Oil catch cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Celica GT4 (ST205) comes with PCV condenser from factory. Half way between a normal PCV system and a catch can.
Similar to a catch can it is a box that the air flows through and catches the oil in the air. In this system once it is a liquid it runs to the bottom of the box and back into the oil pan.

image.jpg

image3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Toyota Celica GT4 (ST205) comes with PCV condenser from factory. Half way between a normal PCV system and a catch can.
Similar to a catch can it is a box that the air flows through and catches the oil in the air. In this system once it is a liquid it runs to the bottom of the box and back into the oil pan.

image.jpg

image3.gif

Looks like it would be a very effective separator, but also looks like it could be prone to clogging as the years and miles rack up.
Most importantly it reduces oxygen available for combustion, and raises cyl. temps promoting the chance of preignition.
VTA is better

Here's a pic of my intake with ~25k miles on it and a catch can the whole time. What deposits????

5Vtzm.jpg

While many will poo poo the catch can idea that it is unnecessary, it is surprising that when CCV requirements came along for heavy diesels, the OEM's thought some sort of oil/air separation apparatus (fancy name for "catch can") was necessary before returning crankcase gasses to the intake. But then, the heavy commercial truck OEM's are, in some ways, light years ahead of the auto and pickup OEM's. Some of us see what is done to our commercial engines and figure it is probably a beneficial thing for our personal stuff. That is why I installed a catch can on my 2015 2500 pickup immediately after purchasing the pickup new.

Same setup I used on my previous pickup. Operated all winter long, down to -20F a few times, and never even a hint of anything freezing up. I suppose anything is possible, but that argument against using one of these is pretty weak.

I was never a fan of these till purchasing a new 2011 Charger with a Hemi. Within 7,000 miles I noted some seepage of oil around the upper intake manifold gaskets. I changed the gaskets, cleaned the upper plenum and added a catch can. It would fill the catch can in about 5k miles. Oil into the catch can didn't slow down till almost the 25k mark. At this point it would be about half full on a 6k oil change. I removed the catch can when I sold the car latter this yr and moved to a Tahoe. I was cleaning the throttle body and looked in the intake with a flash-light. I found what I could describe as a big blob sitting in the manifold. What was in the bottom of my catch can photo was sitting in the intake manifold in a big blob. It was in Jan and looked way worse than the below photo taken last week.

IMG_03671_zpsfaj4np2t.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The Ford Taurus V8 SHO only sprayed fuel on one of the two intake valves. Subsequently the dry valve developed a carbon build up. If it got bad enough it would stick and pop the head of the valve off resulting in a trashed head and piston.

3q3LJ.jpg

looking-into-head-dirty-and-clean.jpg

This is the exact same problem that would lead to stuck IMRC valves on the B-headed 4.6 DOHC engines.

I picked up my first two for real cheap because they had this very issue. Mod motors are notorious for drinking their own engine oil due to the high amount of oil in the heads at higher rpms.

Here's a pic of my intake with ~25k miles on it and a catch can the whole time. What deposits????

Where is a pic of your engine showing deposit issues?

The Ford Taurus V8 SHO only sprayed fuel on one of the two intake valves. Subsequently the dry valve developed a carbon build up. If it got bad enough it would stick and pop the head of the valve off resulting in a trashed head and piston.

That engine was a disaster. A guy I knew professionally worked on that program and told me urgently to NEVER buy a V8 SHO.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Don't have any deposits. The engine hs had a catch can on it almost from new.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

That engine was a disaster. A guy I knew professionally worked on that program and told me urgently to NEVER buy a V8 SHO.
I liked the engine and the car. Use to track it and also did tuning for the V8. Great track car with the proper suspension upgrades.

It was the transmissions that got me out of them. Couldn't afford a new one every year.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Don't have any deposits. The engine hs had a catch can on it almost from new.

You missed the point.

I liked the engine and the car. Use to track it and also did tuning for the V8. Great track car with the proper suspension upgrades.

It was the transmissions that got me out of them. Couldn't afford a new one every year.

I'm glad you had a good experience with that engine...the guy I knew went on and on about frustrations they were having with engineering decisions effectively being made by unreasonable mandates coming from on high at Ford. Most people were very pleased with the V6 and wanted to concentrate on squeezing more out of it, but somebody up high decided they needed a V8 to "compete". Supposedly the engineers felt the V8 was oversized for the car and they were desperately struggling to let it breathe sufficiently in the cramped engine compartment.
Interesting that you had the most trouble with the tranny, as every salesperson in my office during my short stint in Detroit (well, Livonia) had a V6 SHO and every one of them had chronic trouble with the manual transmission. They drove like maniacs, sure, but that was kind of the point of the car. Guess the new auto tranny for the V8 didn't do much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back