Mahindra filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I have a Mahindra 4035 with a 3 cylinder Mahindra engine in it. It only has 25 hours on it, so oil changes are a ways off. Does anyone know who makes the filters for Mahindra? I know the fuel filter is made by Bosch, but what about the oil and hydraulic filters? I would like the convenience of buying a Wix, Baldwin, or NAPA filter. Can anyone shed some light on this? Everything comes painted black, so no telling what it started out as. Thanks for any insight.
Mike

Well I know some time has passed by but I have had no luck crossing the Mahindra numbers to any major manufacturer. Had to pay the long dollar and spend $27 for an oil filter. Any other ideas. With all the filters on the market, I can't believe Mahindra engineered a proprietary oil filter.

eBay has some for 10+9 shipping so 19, theres 4 available. if you buy all 4 at once, thatll save you some $. ive tried for the past hour to cross reference for you, while bored lol, but nothing

Thanks for the effort rickmeseke, I have probably wasted more time on this than I should have. I just kills me to pay $27 for a filter that I know is made by one of the major manufactures. I called Baldwin, because sometimes the website can lag a bit, no luck. I sent an email to Wix, we'll see what happens. Does anyone know of a filter company that can take a look at a filter and reverse engineer it to one of their filters? Again, this is a simple 3 cylinder normally aspirated diesel, nothing fancy. I would think given the length, diameter, thread size and internal mechanisms it shouldn't be hard for a filter company to cross to one of theirs.

If you know the physical characteristics, you can use the Donaldson attribute search and narrow down things quite well.

https://catalog.donaldson.com/home/en/A?st=tabs-3

Probably the most important things to know are going to be gasket size (needs to be close, but need not be exact; as long as it well fits the mount pad), overall allowed size (so that it fits to the application), thread pitch is a must-match, overall flow rate, pressure (anything close is close enough; err to a higher side if possible), etc, etc

Make sure you select "lube" filter for oil filter, or hydraulic, etc.

Then just search. Refine as you see fit.

One thing I've always liked about this concept is that they are essentially allowing you to "make" a filter for your ap by just choosing the correct info. They are allowing you to select a filter based upon criteria that are important to your ap. You are simply taking their VAST catalog and narrowing down the choices by your needs.

When I searched the number you gave, and put it into Wix site, it states that it is a valid competitive number, but they have no xref at this time. This can be interpreted in three ways:
1) they have not had time to engineer/market their equivalent filter
2) they don't see the market worthy of the effort
3) they make the filter for the "competitor" and are under a non-compete clause, so they cannot offer it by themselves

I would recommend you get the characteristics (as I stated above) and just engineer/select one from Donaldson's list. I highly recommend you play with it first to get familiar with it. For example, try to replicate the famous FL1-A filter by putting in criteria. Then when you get the hang of it, try it for your own filter. For example, to replicate the FL1A I used these:
type: full flow
style: spin on
thread: 3/4
gasket od: 2.8 inches
bypass setting Low Range: 12 psi

when the search results came up, they included the P550008 (the equiv of the FL1A and Wix 51515, etc.).

So pick a few filters you KNOW are interchangeable, play with the system to familiarize yourself, and then use your tractor criteria to "make" a filter from their catalog!

Some things MUST match (most notable are the threads). But other stuff like BP settings and gasket sizes only need to be "close enough" to work. If you xref filters often enough between the big major brands (Wix, Fram, Puro, Donaldson, etc) you'll discover that BP settings and gaskets are things they get close on, but they are not always perfect matches. If they don't care to make an EXACT replica, you don't need to either. If your burst pressure is off by 30psi, it's not the end of the world because if your filter pressure is high enough to burst the can, you've got MUCH larger problems to worry about. Any normal filter will contain the typical operating pressures of a common lube sump pump. As for bypass settings, there again, don't get wadded up over silly stuff. The nice thing about the Donaldson attribute search is that they realize it's a "range" and not a singular point. Hence they allow you to pick the opening pressure where it first cracks open (the LR low range set-point) and the full open pressure (HR high range full flow point). Since this is a range, worrying about 9-11 psi versus 10-13 psi is just plain stupid. Your engine is NEVER going to care that much about the BP valve set-point. Just pick a reasonable one and go forward!

I am going to help you out and at least help narrow criteria you can select; use these to start out:
full flow
spin on
gasket OD (insert your value here)
min 9psi BP
thread (insert your value here; if you don't know it, then ask the dealer. If he does not know, then ask him to look up the mount part because it likely will have a description of the threads in the mount details)

from those criteria, you'll get a fairly large result list back. Then open each filter description and find even more stuff to decide upon (Overall diameter, length, efficiency, etc).

Once you find a few filters that will fit your application, then take those numbers and either buy a Donaldson filter, or go to your favorite brand website and xref them over.

Viola!

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Thank-you DNewton3, just caught this post now, for some reason I'm not notified when a new reply is posted.

Now offered by WIX, Mahindra Part # 00013427P04 = WL10347 Wix Hydraulic Filter
And Mahindra Part # 006008803F1 = WL10366 Wix Oil Filter

This is used on my Mahindra 6530

If a topic interests you please start a new one. Replies to a half decade old topic help no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back