Recommend Oil & Filter - 2013 Chevy Volt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
When you get your PF65 on Amazon, please post some pics! I'd love to see if they're still made by Mahle, and the country of origin
smile.gif

It's definitely dressed in AC Delco clothing, but apparently still made in Austria. Maybe they bought the existing plant from Mahle to avoid the disruption of in-sourcing the whole operation?

See pics below:

PF65box.jpg

PF65unboxed.jpg

PF65label.jpg

Looks like a nice filter, hopefully we can see it opened up in a couple years
grin.gif

Use the OEM filter and oil with OEM certification.

The way you titled the thread made me think your OEM vehicle was lacking some what.

If the Volt is hard on the oil shorter OCIs with filter changes best way to go IMO rather than longer OCIs with more expensive syn oils like M1 EP.

Last edited:
Bumping an oldy, any new opinions on the PF65 vs XG3387A? It appears that the Fram is cheaper, not that it really matters... I just purchased a 2013 Volt and my understanding is the OLM system will allow the oil to be in the car for up to two years, depending on ICE mileage. Any Dexos 5w30 that is particularly suited to that potential OCI or to avoid?

Thanks, Doug

The Volt is the best car that GM never sold! Having owned a 2012 Volt, it far exceeded my expectations and miss it to this day. Fuel economy was much better than the Prius, yet the review writers of the time really didn't understand the purpose of the whole concept, so the Prius received all of the praise.

You will likely hit the two year oil change time limit before the OLM is down to 0%. As far as the filter goes, why re engineer something that GM has already done the work on? AC Delco filters are the way to go on GM cars.

Did you get an owners manual with this car? Just check it for the oil required. I think pumpability would be one of the prime requirements of any oil that I would choose for the Volt, due to the start/stop functioning of the ICE. I think the GM requirement for this was 6094M or something to that effect.

The car only had a 9 gallon fuel tank, but the way I drove mine, back and forth to work, charging at home, I would fill it up ONCE A YEAR! Or when the gasoline monitor needed to burn some off for fuel quality purposes...Try THAT in a Prius!!

I read an article that they quit making the Chevy Volt because people were not using the ice engine. LOL I think it was a beautiful concept that worked very well you can go across the country on very little gas and charge up at hotels granted that they had a charger.

So can I use this in a Volt? I have it, so that would be swell. OTOH, not going to use something I really shouldn't use. I also have some Supertech 5w20 synthetic that appears to be dexos rated. I would've used it in my 2006 Prius (sadly totaled) without a second thought, not sure if I need to be more careful with this new-to-me Volt...

Thanks again, Doug

E49D2EAC-6773-4CE0-8D62-0C190C28DD3D.jpeg

Originally Posted by dvancleve
So can I use this in a Volt? I have it, so that would be swell. OTOH, not going to use something I really shouldn't use. I also have some Supertech 5w20 synthetic that appears to be dexos rated. I would've used it in my 2006 Prius (sadly totaled) without a second thought, not sure if I need to be more careful with this new-to-me Volt...

Thanks again, Doug
Short answer, yes. What does the OM say?

The OM says something like Dexos 5w30 is best, but in cold weather 0w30 can be used. I am definitely not in cold weather, but it seems to me that the 0w30 should still be fine.

Another question: does the Dexos rating or the viscosity matter more? Can I use Dexos 5w20 without fear of harming anything? I Googled Dexos vs. viscosity and searched for it here, didn't really come up with anything helpful...

Thanks again, Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back