Corvette UA0 with Redline 5w30: High Lead

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GM now specs 15W50 if tracked or raced. You'd mentioned tacking your car to the track twice.

Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?

Here's some Z06 discussion:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3586726-15w-50-oil-for-track-events.html

You do realize you're linking to a C7 Z06 discussion, right? As I said before:

"Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?"

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie
Here are some clarifications to questions asked.

I'll do the same. Listen, DH:

1. Go to Walmart.
2. Get Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Fram XG10060.
3. Run for same mileage as you've been doing, and get another analysis.
4. Report back with the results.

Why Castrol Edge? Isn't Mobil 1 what GM spec'd for the 2006 Corvette? Do you have any documentation from GM requiring the use of Castrol Edge?

You could have said that you made a mistake with your original statement, and just moved on. Instead, you want to double down? Fine.

Why Castrol Edge? Isn't Mobil 1 what GM spec'd for the 2006 Corvette? Do you have any documentation from GM requiring the use of Castrol Edge?

My suggestion is based upon analysis data that is widely available for GM small-blocks across the 'net. Did I say anything about GM recommending or specifying Castrol Edge? I did not, and your painfully inept attempt at trying to distract attention from your now second erroneous statement in this thread is absurd.

To that point - GM did not spec Mobil 1 for the '06 Z06. Per the owners manual:
SCyStWL.png

Will you see Mobil 1 emblazoned oil fill cap? Sure.
Will you see a mention in the owners manual? Yes:
"Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for your vehicle."

However, marketing prowess is certainly not the same as specifying an oil for usage in this application.

You could have said that you made a mistake with your original statement, and just moved on. Instead, you want to double down? Fine.

My suggestion is based upon analysis data that is widely available for GM small-blocks across the 'net. Did I say anything about GM recommending or specifying Castrol Edge? I did not, and your painfully inept attempt at trying to distract attention from your now second erroneous statement in this thread is absurd.

To that point - GM did not spec Mobil 1 for the '06 Z06. Per the owners manual:
SCyStWL.png

Will you see Mobil 1 emblazoned oil fill cap? Sure.
Will you see a mention in the owners manual? Yes:
"Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for your vehicle."

However, marketing prowess is certainly not the same as specifying an oil for usage in this application.

Did I say "GM now specs 15W50 for the *06* Corvette"? Nope. Syntec also did not carry the GM4718M approval nor does Edge as per documentation you provided.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1570533

Did I say "GM now specs 15W50 for the *06* Corvette"? Nope. Syntec also did not carry the GM4718M approval nor does Edge as per documentation you provided.

When a grown adult has to unfortunately employ special pleading and tu quoque as the foundation for their discourse, there's no reason for me to continue the discussion with them; you'll just crudely attempt to spin-off in another direction in a vain attempt at deflecting attention from your false statements.

For the benefit of everyone else -- to now correct his third bit of misinformation, here's the word directly from Castrol during their Q&A here:

"Although it is no longer a current specification, Castrol EDGE with SYNTEC would meet the obsolete GM 4718 specification."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/castrol-edge-qa/

Again, thanks for the input guys.

I'm inclined to keep the GM AC/Delco filter that I have always used since 2008 on my LS7 motors.

It seems most think I should try another oil but no one is saying in what way these oils are better than Redline 5w30.

If do try something different for experimental purposes I would likely use Mobil1 0W40 as I have previously used it on my last LS7 when I was heavy into road racing.

DH

I agree with greasymechtech, the Redline 0w40 is VERY VERY stout even compared to the 5w30. Example: vis@100c is ~40% higher than 5w30. Go to redlineoil.com and do the comparison in their technical info/product info area. There is a PDF that shows the product info on the whole range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251
You can continue to use Redline. If you want your lead PPM to decrease just do not change your oil so often.

Can you explain this Please ?????

DH

HTHS

Mobil1 5w30 3.1
Mobil1 5w30HM 3.3
Redline 5w30 3.7
Mobil1 0w40 3.8
Redline 0w40 4.0

I am no fan of low HTHS oils in a performance application. Redline 5w30 is pretty close in HTHS to Mobil1 0w40. I see Mobil1 as a viable baby step-up in viscosity to see how the engine does with a couple UOA's prior to stepping up to Redline 0w40.

I am also no fan of OE filters without picking them apart to see how well they are constructed, especially with the various GM PN's available, and the endless change of filter's construction, supplier, requirements.... Fram XG, PureOne, Baldwin, Donaldson, Wix XP, Napa Platinum, Amsoil,... oil filters are some to consider

Can you explain this please ??

DH

Redline has an chelate effect due to the esters it uses as a basestock and the chelating effect is more pronounced with fresh redline. Thus the more often you change redline the higher your metal readings are going to be in UOA's.

You can continue to use Redline. If you want your lead PPM to decrease just do not change your oil so often.

DH

When you change your oil the new oil washes off the old oils anti-wear agents,which will increase wear,until the new oil applies its own anti-weat layers.
So frequent oil changes increases this action.
Wear trends downwards as miles rack up and we've seen used oil analysis where wear metals only increase a couple ppm on a 10000 mile run vs a 5000 mile run.
So the fools errand that claim changing oil once it's black doesn't lessen or improve wear trends. In fact the opposite is true.

I'm not sure that's what Dave was getting at but I figured I'd post

Can you explain this please ??

DH

Redline has an chelate effect due to the esters it uses as a basestock and the chelating effect is more pronounced with fresh redline. Thus the more often you change redline the higher your metal readings are going to be in UOA's.

Okay, thanks. I didn't know this.

DH

Originally Posted By: Clevy

DH

When you change your oil the new oil washes off the old oils anti-wear agents,which will increase wear,until the new oil applies its own anti-weat layers.
So frequent oil changes increases this action.
Wear trends downwards as miles rack up and we've seen used oil analysis where wear metals only increase a couple ppm on a 10000 mile run vs a 5000 mile run.
So the fools errand that claim changing oil once it's black doesn't lessen or improve wear trends. In fact the opposite is true.

I'm not sure that's what Dave was getting at but I figured I'd post

Would this affect all metal wear or only bearings?
My Alum and Iron has actually gone down.

DH

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the chelate phenomenon.

DH has now ran Red Line for several 3k-4k drain intervals. As such, any applicability of the effect at this point is miniscule, at best.

Let's face it, folks. While great within the confines of particular applications, the oil is simply a poor choice here -- excuses and varying justification aren't going to change that.

Back