World Economic Collapse is imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I'm a fan of asset allocation.

If something is on the way up, you sell to keep it at your prescribed percentage. When it's going down, you buy.

I try to keep precious metals at about 5% of my portfolio. Selling off as the price rose and buying as the price fell.

Not a perfect strategy, but it eliminates the extremes, both gains and losses.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: zpinch
I couldnt say exactly what would go up and what would go down, besides silver and gold, they would relatively hold their true value... Maybe some volatility for awhile, but it is always a good bet.

Gold is always a good bet? Let's look at the 5-year chart. Zpinch, when did you buy yours?

rjpoub.jpg

Why would I tell you how much I have?

To make your ridiculous story more believable.

The DOLLAR MIGHT COLLAPSE to a level representative of the true value that it is after all these decades of being pumped up. It is a massive bubble.

So, what is the true value of the USD? Will the CAD also collapse? All world currencies? When you talk about collapse, what does that mean to you? Will it be worth zero, or just devalue?

The USD might collapse. Gold might collapse further. Saskatchewan might collapse and be invaded by those barbarians from Alberta.

None of the conspiracy folks here want to come up with a sound strategy to compare investments, so I'll do it for you. I bought 10 shares of VTI at $98.05 while you've been preaching this panic investing strategy. So, every month until my retirement we'll compare that investment versus one ounce of gold. I'll come back here to do that.

Original investment on 8/25/15:
VTI $980.50
Gold $1140.49

See you on the first of the month, and every month until ~2035.

I would say it's probably more accurate to describe the value of gold and silver as the "value of the moment" rather than an intrinsic value that makes for an appreciating asset. It's obviously done well over the last decade but I'd be plenty scared if I converted my IRA to physical gold.

I'm still kicking myself for not selling some silver I have when it was $48/oz. in 2011. That would have worked out really well if those funds were applied to my mutual funds versus waiting for the next up cycle on silver.

I retract everything I have said. You guys know better than me. Cya.

How are we supposed to compare strategies if you leave? You won't be able to gloat when my ten shares of VTI are worth $0.00!

If you would read what wrote earlier about why your retirement might be worth nothing, then you would know.

Retirement funds can go bust, sure. I can also die before retirement, and that is a lot more common than major, major market meltdowns and depressions.

People making statements about the intrinsic value of gold and silver provide positive evidence of their ignorance. Metals like silver and gold have very little utility or intrinsic value. Gold in particular is possibly the one with least utility and intrinsic value. Gold has value because of scarcity, soft easy malleability for ornamental jewelry, and because being the least reactive of metals it stays shiny. The fact that a substance stays shiny is an absurd reason for it to have value but historically that is the primary reason besides its scarcity and ease of making it into ornamentation and coinage.

In modern times there is little reason for gold to have high value other than scarcity and the fact that certain people believe it has "intrinsic" value. These people are otherwise known as suckers. Gold is one of the rarest of metals with most of it likely already having been mined. btw - since the latter half of last century is has been possible to manufacture unlimited amounts of gold. All you need is 150,000 volts of electricity aimed at a mercury isotope. The energy strikes out a proton from the nucleus of the mercury and produces a new element, gold. The cost of this process outweighs the value of gold produced but it has been done experimentally.

Long term anyone that decides to own and invest in a bucket full of shiny virtually useless metal instead of shares in an index fund like S&P 500 (the 500 largest companies in the US) is destined to be eating dog food in their old age.

Last edited:
So the Fed Zoos had to close, by lack of gov money. Congress have to keep authorizing big amounts of debt, over budget. The Stock Market, major Airliner, major Newspaper stop working w/o motives, followed by huge amount of loss worldwide ... Calling everybody to dollar to reunite in the deception fall. We're in September 1929! Something is going to happen ...

Kidding
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Yep. The elite are cashing out at the expense of the common man.

So, when the market goes down, the elite are cashing out at the expense of the common man?

It follows then, that when the market goes up, as it has done dramatically over the past few years, and over the past two days, that the elites are cashing IN for the BENEFIT of the common man...

Right?

Last edited:
OK, this economic collapse turns out to be quite a big problem for me. You see I lined everything up to leave the rat race and go live in the woods with my family, you know go back to the roots kinda thing and off the grid.
Nothing collapsed, what am I supposed to tell my wife?

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
People making statements about the intrinsic value of gold and silver provide positive evidence of their ignorance. Metals like silver and gold have very little utility or intrinsic value. Gold in particular is possibly the one with least utility and intrinsic value. Gold has value because of scarcity, soft easy malleability for ornamental jewelry, and because being the least reactive of metals it stays shiny. The fact that a substance stays shiny is an absurd reason for it to have value but historically that is the primary reason besides its scarcity and ease of making it into ornamentation and coinage.

In modern times there is little reason for gold to have high value other than scarcity and the fact that certain people believe it has "intrinsic" value. These people are otherwise known as suckers. Gold is one of the rarest of metals with most of it likely already having been mined. btw - since the latter half of last century is has been possible to manufacture unlimited amounts of gold. All you need is 150,000 volts of electricity aimed at a mercury isotope. The energy strikes out a proton from the nucleus of the mercury and produces a new element, gold. The cost of this process outweighs the value of gold produced but it has been done experimentally.

Long term anyone that decides to own and invest in a bucket full of shiny virtually useless metal instead of shares in an index fund like S&P 500 (the 500 largest companies in the US) is destined to be eating dog food in their old age.

Well said. This thread is hilarious! Gold and silver are horrid long term investments; cash under a mattress is sometimes a better strategy depending on the tend of gold at the time. Sure, if you own it while it's spiking, it's great, but historically it's a horrible investment, and the "luminaries" that huck it like Peter Schiff and Mike Maloney have proven themselves to be nothing but frauds. Gold has no intrinsic value and never really did as a monetary unit, because money in and of itself has no intrinsic value. It's a socio economic unit of account. So buying gold now thinking it's going to be a good investment because historically at times it was used for the basis of money, is laughably ignorant.

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/north/north772.html

http://www.joshuakennon.com/stocks-vs-bonds-vs-gold-returns-for-the-past-200-years/

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/02/p...old-market.html

The only real value to gold is that it's not likely to collapse to the point of bankrupting oneself, and it might protect one from hyperinflation. But, hyperinflation isn't a huge risk, and who puts every dime they have in one company that goes bankrupt, unless it's one's own?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Gold has value because of scarcity,

So buying gold now thinking it's going to be a good investment because historically at times it was used for the basis of money, is laughably ignorant.

But gold has electrolytes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vInmy1-i-w

Last edited:
A little bit like playing musical chairs but in this version a select few know exactly when the music stops and take full advantage of it.

As usually the little guy will get caught flat footing while the elite few cash in on their inside knowledge, folks the market is rigged.

Even the day to day stuff has some big harvesting little going on.

You can watch (in Oz at least) during the day, single share sales, of shares worth 10c to $1...that's clearly not a mum and dad investor or pension company, as at least the former have brokerage of $20+ to sell their single 10c share.

Can see them pushing the share price along (down or up), one sale at a time (yes, there needs to be someone buyin a single share too, and not at $20 brokerage).

Then some trigger, some-one's stop loss, or conditional purchase kicks in, them bang, big sale/buy.

Have enough bots running in the race, then a stop loss cascade can crash a stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back