Valvoline engine armour or Durablend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the difference? i have been using Engine armour 10w 40 and durablend 10w 40 is apparently been phased out in Australia so its almost the same price. They are both semi synthetic oils.

Another thing i noticed is auto shops are starting remove Valvoline products from the shelfs, is the company in trouble financially?

Anyways i will always support Valvoline as my dad loved using them, so i will use them for as long as possible.

Most products have at least some GroupIII in them now to meet API SN so Engine Armour is their "mostly mineral base" or "conventional" series of oils. Durablend is intended to be a step up hence "Semi Synthetic" is in larger print on the bottle. As you see they are making it difficult for the consumer with their branding.

I see you have an Alfa. You should use an ACEA A3 rated 10w40 (or 10w60) not just straight API SJ or higher.

I am trying to keep the costs down because i change my oil every 2000-3000kms so i just use the cheap Semi synthetic API SJ, car seems to run fine.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Why such a short oci?

I dont drive much and usually its short distance city driving, so i change it every 3 months which is usually 1600 miles in that period. Its is a dirty running engine as well, uses 2 spark plugs per cylinder and prone to cam lobe wear failures if oil is not changed.

Originally Posted By: kalloggs40

Another thing i noticed is auto shops are starting remove Valvoline products from the shelfs, is the company in trouble financially?

Ashland is a solid company making good profits and offering good products. Valvoline isn't going anywhere - they just signed a new deal to sponsor Hendrick in Nascar and will be the oil of choice in the many Hendrick dealerships across the USA.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/ash/s?t=ASH

Nice awesome thanks for the info, maybe its just in Australia. The only products that are staying on shelfs here is Engine Armour, next gen (one space) and the fully synthetic.

They have reduced by 4 other poducts they had in the range.

We used to have fuel cleaners, 2T oils for scooters, 4T oil for bikes, Oil filters all gone or whatever is left i have been told here in sydney.

I think the reason is too many cheap Arab companies have moved in providing same oil specs for $5 less, we even have synthetic oil straight from Dubai, something unheard of 5 years ago, which i wont support or trust in any car.

Bump !

Well a year on and Valvoline is still doing well in Australia. Both sold at the two big chains down my way, Repco and SuperCheap Auto. So luckily the OP's concerns for the company weren't true. You have a family tradition to keep going, full respect for that.

Between the two big chains, one of them regularly has it on sale / special. So it's often easy to get at a good price. Let's hope it always stays that way.

I have noticed less Durablend and more Engine Armour in the stores. Both semi-synthetics, so maybe a little shuffling in their semi-synthetic line.

Two oils I have noticed recently from Valvoline are some HDEO mixed fleet (Heavy Duty Diesel and Petrol oils) both semi-synthetics called Engine Armour Diesel:
Either 15W50, API CI-4 / SL, ACEA A3 / B4
Or 5W40, API CJ-4 / SN, ACEA A3 / B4 / E9 / E7

Both should be robust oils with loads of zinc and strong TBN. This should work well on the OP's Alfa, and should easily go more than 3 months.

Pay a bit more, get a lot stronger oil, change every 6 months, and save some money.

Yep, I doubt if the OP will check in after a year, but I just discovered these Valvoline HDEOs (they may be new), so I thought I would shared with any other interested locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back